I am prescribed low - fat and low - cholesterol diet because the level of low-density lipoprotein (LDL or "bad cholesterol") is too high. My doctor also told me to use Policosanol and in this way try to improve my bad/good cholesterol ratio. I would like to know something more about Policosanol. Is it true that it is made of sugar cane?

Policosanol supplements are used to lower the level of LDL cholesterol and raise the level of “good” HDL cholesterol. It is not known how Policosanol works - certain reports indicate that it acts through the liver, and in a totally different way when compared to the way the statins work. Policosanol supplements are non - prescription drugs. Policosanol is actually a combination of fatty alcohols and the main ingredient is octanosol. It is derived from sugar cane, yam or beeswax. Policosanol - based products usually do not cause severe side effects and rarely do skin rash or headaches appear. There are stories which describe using polycosanol as a very good way to improve sexual performance and to increase the level of energy in your organism, but those are not scientifically confirmed. It is also still not known whether the effects of polycosanol extracted from any of its sources (sugar cane, beeswax, yam) are equally beneficial.