I need more info about acute polyneuritis so called Guillan-barre syndrome. What causes that neural damage and how destructive can it be? I suffer auto immune disease SLE and I’ve heard that patients with this disease are at higher risk of GB syndrome. How can I prevent it? My immune response is not so good, so I’m trying to protect from infections as much as it’s possible.

I got GB syndrome that followed common respiratory infection. I had viral lung infection which didn’t require the treatment. After symptoms had left, new symptoms occurred. In first two weeks I was almost completely paralyzed. That was terrible. Of course, in the beginning I didn’t know the cause of my condition. I was on therapy that included plasmapharesis that helped a bit. It took about year that I felt completely healed. I’ve heard that relapses are not uncommon to occur 3 years after the primary disease.