I recently had a hysterectomy via divinci. the next day I was 10 lbs. heavier. I understand the bloating issue but I am puffy. Do you gain water weight aswell? And what can be done for that?

Hi denise, that's odd that you put on ten pounds in one day but I guess that it is possible! I think the bloating issue and puffiness are probably water weight like you have suspected. If you want to lose that, you do have to unfortunately lose the weight the old fashioned way through exercise. Does this help?

every time i've had surgery and i've had six in two years, i would get weighed the day of surgery and be one weight and then i would be ten pounds heavier after the surgery.

with the exception of two surgeries, i was only in hospital overnight.

those bags of d5w and ringers lactate running at breakneck speed are filled with dextrose (sugar) and many other electrolytes. That is part of the weight gain.

Some of it is the brain signalling the body that it is under attack and to preserve every ounce you own.

some of it is a response to the inflammatory process....you've been assaulted with a knife, cut, sewn up, etc....and it swells. on a cellular level, you've got serous fluid forming a protective and healing barrier around the wound on the inside.

it can take anywhere from a month to three months, sometimes longer to lose this weight....the good news is ---- your immune system is working.

So did they say that what you were gaining weight from was just saline and water retention? I think that would make sense. The swelling doesn't make so much sense because if you swell, don't you have the same mass as before?

I had an appendicitis two days ago .I weighed 17lbs more this morning . I haven't eaten anything. Does this make sense?