My mom has been acting really strange lately. I can hear her at night not being able to sleep and going to the bathroom often, she is often moody and I am sure something is going on but she is not telling. I asked her last night and she told me not to worry and that she probably entered premenopause and that she will be ok soon. I must have asked in the wrong time as she gave me no more explanations. CAN anybody tell me what is going on in this premenopause. Thx

It is very nice that you are worried for your mom. She is right, you have nothing to worry but by understanding what she is going through you may be able to help or make things easier for her. Perimenopause is the phase before menopause, when ovarian hormone production is declining and fluctuating, causing a host of symptoms. Besides the change in their menstrual cycles caused by these declining or fluctuating estrogen levels, many women suffer from other symptoms like: hot flashes, increasing vaginal dryness, sleep problems, mood swings, breast tenderness, etc.