I am 50 years old and have had regular periods most of my life. I have 4 children ages 15 -23. I have periods every couple months now with no symptoms of hot flashes, night sweats or depression. However, I am experiencing insomnia. For the last 4 weeks I have had a period, one that barley uses one tampon a day but nevertheless consistent. I went to the GYN and they suggested it was part of the menopausal transition. I am not sure 4 weeks of this is normal. Can anyone shed light on this.

I'm assuming that when you went to see the doctor, they did blood tests also testing your blood sugar and they've eliminated diabetes (my mom discovered she had diabetes by frequent yeast infections and unusual bleeding but she was post menopause by then)

Did they test your FSH? This would be a good indication of how close your are to the change.

My past cycle was weird, heavy spotting (like a light period) for 13 days. When I mentioned it to mother, she said she had that often. My mother had her menopause when she was 45 and she's trying to remember her cycles from 20 years ago so...8-|
She never had night sweats or hot flashes during the day and she became a night owl. I get insomnia a few times a month and I used to be such a great sleeper. sigh.
:-)

The last time my cycle went wonky, my fertility dr told me it was because my hormones weren't at the right level to maintain a lining and that's why it kept shedding. She put me on progesterone for 10 days which gave me a full period at the end and made the next cycles normal.
I read the book "what your doctor may not tell you about perimenopause" and it helpful.

Hope this helps.

Lavagirl
(I'm 37 and trying to conceive #2)