I have a friend who told me one scary thing. She said most of mothers get terrible dental problems while they were pregnant. I would like to know if that were true, would pregnancy affect my oral health. If I will need treatment one day, what drugs are safe while I am pregnant. Should I receive any dental treatment at all while I am pregnant?

It is fact that expectant mothers and women who take some oral contraceptives experience elevated levels of the hormones estrogen and progesterone. This cause her gums to react differently to the bacteria found in plaque. That is why in many cases it can cause a condition known as pregnancy gingivitis. Symptoms of this dental problem during pregnancy include swollen, red gums and bleeding of the gums when brushing. Good oral health care is vital during woman is pregnant, and she should continue with her regular dental cleaning and check-ups to avoid oral infections that can affect the fetus. Dentists recommend that major dental treatments that are not urgent be postponed until after your child is born, so woman should wait with treatment. The first trimester, the stage of pregnancy in which most of the baby's organs are formed, is the most crucial to baby's development. That is why it is best to have procedures performed during the second trimester to minimize any potential risk. Every mother and her dentist should be extremely cautious of all drugs during pregnancy. If you need to have dental work done during your pregnancy, research has shown that some acceptable antibiotics include penicillin, amoxicillin, and clindamycin, but avoid tetracycline. It is proven this drug can cause discoloration of your child's temporary and permanent teeth.