Hi, I am just little over seven months pregnant. Everything during my pregnancy was just fine. Few days ago doctor discovered that I have gestational diabetes. My doctor said that my pregnancy will continue normally if I take prescribed medicine. However I am very troubled by this news. Have you had any experience with gestational diabetes and what can you tell me about it?

Hi, when my sister was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, during her first pregnancy, we were all very worried. The whole family tried to learn something new about this condition so that we could help her as much as possible. This illness is caused by hormones of the placenta that disable insulin activity in the blood. This is called insulin resistance. Because of this glucose can not be changed into energy and its level in the blood is being increased. Trough the blood glucose gets to the baby and causes birth defect called fat baby. My sister was very frightened when she heard the facts. Because of that she was very determined to follow her doctor's orders so that she could give birth to a healthy baby. And that’s exactly what happened. Don't worry. Just do what my sister did. Listen to your doctor and everything should be fine.