I had a miscarriage after 4 months pregnancy. Doctor said the cause maybe due to cervical incontinence. I would like to find out more info on that.

Hi There,

I am truly sorry to here about your loss. I lost a baby in May at 4 months. A late miscarraige can be caused by an incompetent cervix (when the cerivx opens prematurely). Other reasons, placenta seperation fromt he uterus, fail to produce adequate hormones, unusally shaped uterus, abnormal implantation.
An incompetent cervix opens early due to the weight of the growing fetus. In the U.S. it occurs between 1-2 in every 100 or 20-25% of all 2nd trimester pregnancies. Why? Variety of reasons, extreme stretching or severe lacerations during other deliveries, cervical surgery or laser surgery, traumatic D & C or abortions (mainly before 1973), genetic weakness of the cervix, exposure to DES (while in womb).
It is suggested that if a new pregnancy occurs than the docotr must be informed as sutures can be used to help close the cervix. When the stitches are taken out is the discretion of your doctor at time of labor.
I hope this helps, please post agin if there is anything else.

I am terribly sorry for your loss..

I hate to say this word, but sometimes this happens... Sometimes these terrible,unfortunate events are flukes. Please do not blame yourself!

THE previous poster is right! IF it is CERVICAL INCOMPETANCE, then a suture can be applied to help keep other pregnancies secure.

i had a misscarrage at 17 weeks in march the doc told me my cervix was still open and 2 get 2 hospital asap but before i got across the road my waters broke could it b due 2 severe stress