Hi, I am in my first trimester of pregnancy. At first, everything was going on as it should have. Now I have a problem. It all started with gases. Later on, I was experiencing stomach aches. This really worried me. Because of that, I went to see a doctor. After some tests that were taken, I was diagnosed with lactose intolerance. It seems that this condition started during my pregnancy. Does this mean that I will be able to go back to milk and dairy products after pregnancy or is lactose intolerance permanent?

Hi, it is quite uncommon to build lactose intolerance during the pregnancy. There could be several things that could have caused it. For example, the digestive process in your body could have slowed down and as a result lactose intolerance popped out. This means that enzyme lactase, important for metabolization of dairy sugar lactose, is not created in needed quantities. However, if you have enjoyed plenty of milk and dairy products in your life before the pregnancy, it is almost certain that you will be able to continue with your habits after the pregnancy. In the meantime, while being pregnant, try to reduce consummation of milk and dairy products and not expel them completely out of your nutrition because they are a great source of calcium that you need during pregnancy. Some products already have smaller amounts of lactose, like yoghurt and hard cheese, so try involving more of them in your diet. However, you must keep up with your doctor's orders.