Hello I am supposed to be having Prostate surgery H.O.L.E.P. Laser is my choice.

What is the situation regarding my sex life afterwards I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone.

Will I be able to ejaculate or will I suffer from retrograde ejaculation. Are there any drugs that can close the bladder neck to help ejaculation etc.

What is the chances of impotentcy after this type of operation.

My P.S.A. level is at 4.9 I am 50 years old is this cause for concern?

I seem to have bad bowel problems and my prostate flares up if my bowels are blocked and i eat the wrong foods etc.

I lost a lot of weight 2 years ago 18 stone down to 12 stone in 6 months i am 6 foot tall. My bowels bladder and lower body organs feel very tight.
Is it the case that everything has shrunk down there in that region?

Kind regards Tony In England.

:-(

Hi! Good luck with your surgery! I read that serious long-term complications are less likely with laser surgery, so good choice. But there are always some chances, so you can't really know for sure will you suffer from retrograde ejaculation. Some men have trouble urinating after laser surgery. Urinary tract infections are rare. There is a small risk that laser surgery could cause erectile dysfunction. Once more, good luck!

Many Thanks for your imput

Tony England UK

I'm  surprised we haven't seen more responses.  I'm wondering the same thing as I have a decision to make soon

Whether you will have retro or not, and how long it lasts, depends on how your surgeon does the procedure. The Greenlight promo brochure states 30% of patients will experience retro ejaculation for up to three months post-op but that usually goes away. Various other web sites about the procedure have that same info. I'm five weeks post op, am experiencing the retro thing accompanied by significant pain in the final parts of the retro ejaculation, and today the surgeon told me that the way he does the procedure the retro thing is 100% guaranteed and worse yet it will be permanent. Direct quote: permanent retro ejaculation is the price you paid to have a better stream. Don't know why he does it this way but he didn't make it clear before the procedure. Had he done so I would have found a different surgeon. I'm only 57 and my sex life is now over thanks to this procedure. If you're considering having GreenLight done, think of it as emasculation light. You won't be a fully functional male afterwards.

I went to a uroligist when I started to have to go all the time. They drained my bladder and got 2 plastic urinals full, almost 2,000 cc, I had no pain. First a biopsy and then surgery. No enlargement of prostate. Why he didn't just tell me to use a catheter a few till the bladder came back to a regular size. I worked for 25 yrs where I was working 12-14 hour days, and if I went to the bathroom, it had to be quick. So years of that enlarged my bladder, not painful. If there was no enlargement, I don't know why the biopsey!! A blood test would have shown whether or not my PSA count indicated a need for a biopsy. When you look back and see the questions should have been asked, but when you have a problem ,you count on the Dr. to know what to do.I had a therapist tell me he had patients that were in the same situation I was in, and half of them was no longer hear,(suicide), and he couldn't say that was a bad decision!! When these a**holes start telling suicide is good, it is time to check qualifications of some of these idiots.There are good Dr.'s out there, it is just finding one.I finally have one and we talk about anything, and if he is not familiar he finds out. They gave workers comp over to private insurers. Which helped the employee, but not the worker. Then you have to go to Social Security Disability,waiter 4 yrs for approval, but workers comp should have been responsible, and they say the entitlement programs are the problem. Keep fighting for the rights of business's, and screw the middle class. Then they hold back on having them pay higher taxes. The whole system needs to be changed, but the one who have to change it, are the ones doing it!!! Meanwhile we get tossed to the side for their profits, Depresion and COPD are one thing, but then ruining my sexlife is just too much. I am sorry you went through what you have, maybe we can find a solution to one problem!

DON'T DO IT, NOT LASER SURGERY. YOU MOST LIKELY WILL BE VERY SORRY LIKE ME AND MOST OTHERS WHO DID. FIND ANOTHER SOLUTION.