On my last pack of birth control pills, I missed the first two dark blue active pills (and ended up getting my period a day after). I followed the directions and continued to take the rest of the dark blue pills on schedule, threw out the placebo pills and started a new pack of pills right away. My period lasted about twice as long as it normally does, which didn't seem weird under the circumstances, but in the middle of taking the new pack, I started bleeding again (it was a little more than a week later). I have been taking this birth control for over a year and i have never had breakthrough bleeding or a super early period. I was wondering if it is normal to get breakthrough bleeding during this cycle even though it was during the last cycle that I missed the pills or if it may be something else completely

No it's not unusual at all. Sometimes when you mess up one month of pills, it may take one or two cycles to get back on track. Just make sure you take them the same time everyday and use alternate protection like a condom.
Also, if you have been sick, i.e. diarreah or vomitting or taking antibiotics, that could also mess you up as well.