My son underwent surgery in 1999 for an egg-sized AVM in the right frontal lobe. After considerable time, he was fine. In preparing for college he had an angiogram to ensure the AVM had not returned. Instead they found a dural fistula located in the region of the ear. Embolization attempt failed and he is now scheduled for surgery. Will the recovery time be different since the AVM is not located in the brain, but in the dura.

:cry: oh Karen... I was diagnosed in 1999 (Dec.) after a long year of misdiagnosis. I had an AVM in the spinal cord Tspine. This is way more rare that the brain. I am so very sorry to think that anyone has gone thru what I have. Mine grew back after the surgery. Drs. do not want to go back in because they'd be working thru scar tissue. What they don't tell you is that blood vessels of any kind regrew very likely. Which is wonderful, except in our case. Soooo pleeaassee make them keep an eye on the one the he had removed. I wud love to know where and who performed his surgery. Mine was in Atlanta GA. Dr. D. Barrow. Very good surgeon for this problem. Im left with horrible debilitating pain. Is he? my prayers for you both. Angie T.Woods

I had my first spinal avm surgery back in 1980 as it was t1-t9 in San Fran...Then in the ealry eighties i had several embolizations and a balloon put it...then it started bleeding again in the nineties and had three more embolizations done, Then in early 2003, i had to have three more embolizations done as they could not remove the 3 avms as the were right on the spine. This was done at Thomas Jefferson by Dr, Rossenwasser. but then in 2006 it started to bleed again and they tried to embolize but failed. I had to wait until they could use a gamma knife machineto shoot radiation and in 2007 they did 3 treatments and hopefully stopped the bleeding which has held so far. But, with all the surgeries, it has left my right side very weak and i have lots of pain but still i am able to walk, but it is difficult at times..