I have been experiencing ear pulsing in my left ear for about 2 years now. It comes intermittently, maybe a couple of times a month. After each episode, I have almost crippling headaches that no painkiller will cure for usually 4 or 5 days. As well, the most disturbing is poor balance and poor equilibrium. I do not have spinning or vertigo but certain lights, patterns, room colors or shapes or wearing sunglasses can make symptoms worse. It feels exactly like you are wearing someone else's prescription glasses. Lastly, my memory seems to get worse (this may be because I cannot concentrate). and I get very depressed and tired. I used to be very active in baseball and golf and now I cannot play either becasue of this problem. My ENT took a couple of tests and said my ears were fine and it would go away. I told him it had been getting worse for two years and was affecting my life and career so he is sending me to a balance specialist but was sure they would find no problems. My general physician says these are vague symptoms with no clear problem. I really need some advice so if this sounds familiar to anyone or someone can shed some light, please let me know.

It sounds like you might be experiencing a type of migraine headache. The pulsing in the ear you get before the headache is like a warning of what's coming, some people get an "aura" and know one is about to hit. Maybe see if your doctor can try some tests more along the lines of migraines.. and try a migraine medication when one hits to see if it helps... take it as soon as possible, so if you get the pulsing, take a pill so that it can intercept it right away. If that is the case, there is also preventive medication... which might eliminate them completely, but normally there is a trigger of some sort, nutrition, stress, etc that you need to aleviate.

Sound of Pulse in Ears
By:
Douglas Hoffman

Question :
What causes the sound of your pulse to be heard in your ears?

P.L.

Answer :
This is known as "pulsating" or "vascular" tinnitus. (Tinnitus generally means ringing or roaring in the ears.) Here is a list of the possible causes of pulsating tinnitus:

Chronic inflammation or infection of the middle ear. Chronic inflammation in any part of the body is almost always accompanied by increased blood flow to the inflamed tissue. When this tissue is in the ear, some people are able to hear the increase in blood flow.
Eustachian-tube dysfunction. The eustachian tubes connect the middle ears to the upper throat. They open to ventilate the middle ears and equalize internal and external air pressure. For reasons that are unclear, inability of the tubes to open properly can sometimes result in pulsating tinnitus.
Middle-ear effusion (fluid). The middle ear is normally an air-filled space. If fluid accumulates behind the eardrum (due to infection, inflammation or eustachian-tube dysfunction), pulsating tinnitus may result. That symptom would be accompanied by decreased hearing, a sensation of pressure in the ear and in some cases, pain. It can be treated with medication (antibiotics, decongestants, nasal steroid sprays and so forth) or surgery.
Vascular tumors. Such tumors in the middle ear go by a variety of names, but are most commonly referred to as "glomus" tumors or "paragangliomas." They are benign (not cancerous), but due to their location and vigorous blood supply, they can be very troublesome. Treatment requires surgery.
Arteriovenous malformations (AVMs). AVMs are abnormal collections of arteries and veins. They sometimes occur within the cranial cavity near the auditory nerve. An AVM pulsating against the auditory nerve stimulates the nerve, resulting in a pulsating tinnitus. AVMs can occur as a result of trauma or due to abnormal development in the womb. For example, a person may be born with a small AVM that enlarges later in life. Treatment is usually surgical.
Carotid artery-cavernous sinus fistula. A fistula is an abnormal connection. Thus, carotid artery-cavernous sinus fistula is an abnormal connection between a very large artery and a very large "lake" of venous blood (not really a "sinus" in the sense of facial sinuses) within the cranial cavity. It is usually the result of severe head trauma. The fistula can be treated by a specialist in the field of interventional radiology.
Venous hum. Patients who are pregnant, are anemic or have thyroid problems may develop increased blood flow through the largest vein in the neck, the jugular vein. The jugular vein carries blood from the brain back to the heart. In so doing, it traverses the middle ear. Turbulent blood flow anywhere in the course of the jugular vein can be heard in the middle ear as a "hum" which may or may not fluctuate with the pulse. Correction or resolution of the underlying problem often results in improvement.
There are other, less common, causes of vascular tinnitus, but these are the "biggies." I recommend that you see an ear, nose and throat specialist for a comprehensive evaluation, because (as you can see from this list) many of the possible explanations are NOT trivial!

okay, no one can say, but it may be a tumor.

Have you ever had a neck injury? I had a bad accident that tore the left side of my boby to shreads. As time has come along, today I feel many pains which I never anticipated. I have the throbbing and 'cluster' headache in my left ear and the left temeral area for a pulsing headache. I finally realized that the position I held my head contributed to the whole problem. One day I got an old neckbrace out, put it on and in a few minutes I felt like a new person.

Did you find out what it was? I have really similar symptoms...

Hi, I suggest that the original poster should look up Intracranial Hypertension - the symptoms you describe are almost classic

of this illness.

I have the same very symptoms of the person who posted on 8/20/08. I d like yo know how he s feeling now or he found a cure for this annoying illness.he never posted back. Did someone get an answer crom him. I d like to know what to do . I saw and an ENT doctor and told me tbat there were nothing wrong with my ears.i freaked out 3 months ago and went to the emergency room.did some blood tests and and an MRI.i looked normal. Can someone tells me what to do. I ll appreciate it.