Hi. I`m 28 and my doctor has told me that I should have the rotating knee replacement (can`t rotate with my right knee after the accident). He has also told me that rotating knee replacements looks like a traditional knee replacement implants. Anybody with some info on rotating knee replacements?

Hi. Yeah, the the rotating knee replacement is just like traditional knee replacement implants. The procedure is the same, and so is the recovery. Some surgeons say that that ligament balancing of a rotating knee replacement is more difficult than a traditional knee replacement. The differences are very small. Anyway, the rotating knee replacement implants swing back and forth and the knee can also rotate inwards and outwards. As you can see, the replacements are intended to replicate normal knee motion more closely.

The rotation in that joint is not all that much more than in a standard joint which are not fixed and can rotate somewhat anyway. The more crucial issue is, does that surgeon have plenty of experience using it and what is his failure rate? The issues that should concern you more are infection, loosening and breakages, all of which are attributable to poor surgical technique. And they form the much greater part of any problems that might occur. Far outweigh the question of the micro-inspection of different knees.