Hi. I`m 43 years old female and have osteoarthritis (I`ve had a fracture of the hip when I was a kid). My doctor has recommended me a total hip replacement surgery. He told me that it is a common procedure, but I would like to hear more about THR, anyway. My hip hurts, but not sure if the THR is the right thing for me.

Hi. A painful hip is a problem that won`t just leave you alone to live a normal life. Total hip replacement surgery is really becoming more and more common. Osteoarthritis is the most common cause for THR. The procedure is called THR because both the head of the femur and the socket are replaced. The femoral implant is made of a cobalt-chrome or titanium. A polyethylene plastic cup will replace the socket of the pelvis. Important to know that many implants allow changes in the neck length of the implant and make it possible to correct leg length during the THR surgery. After THR surgery, your pain will be gone. Total hip replacements are a success in some 96% of all cases.