I had a total hip replacement on October 13, 2011.  At first my recovery was going well.  I went back to work four months after the surgery.  Shortly thereafter I began to have pain in my groin, thigh, and buttocks.  It has gotten increasingly worse ever since. The surgeon say that the x-rays look great, and that it healed perfectly, but can't explain why I still have the pain and it's getting worse.  A bone scan was done and reveled nothing. I have days where the pain goes all the way down my leg and it starts to get numb.  I'm worse off now than I was before the surgery.  Has anyone had any of these symptoms?  If so, can you tell me what was done to help you?

I had a hip replacement done in Thailand when I was 45. It could have been done earlier but I delayed it as long as possible. Not always the wisest choice in hindsight. Anyway about a year and a bit a ago after a trip to Europe every thing started to go wrong. Chronic pain in my hip joint. A heavy doze of pain killers ensued and a trip to the Thai medical system. What a fiasco. Within 10 minutes the lead surgeon at a well known Thai hospital was talking about revision surgery as one of the possible solutions. The conversation was going backwards. I therefore embarked on a blitz of all non invasion therapies including acupuncture, massage. physio, chiropracter and my usual exercise routine of swimming and the cross trainer. It took about 6 weeks to see an improvement and a shedding of those horrible painkillers. This year I have returned to yoga and a big improvement has occurred. Bottom line sometimes it is good to stay away from the Doctors and self medicate, using a wide range of alternative therapies and see what works for you.

The pain and numbness you describe are indicative of nerve involvement of some sort - most commonly, but not always - the sciatic nerve. It could also actually be related to disc herniation in your lower back, where the herniation is compressing the nerve root located there; many times this can manifest itself as leg pain with little or no actual back pain noted. You mention that you've had a bone scan and xrays, but no MRI? An MRI would indicate a disc problem; or nerve conduction studies could be useful, as well. Hope this helps you find the help you need - REALLY surprised your doctor didn't explore this!

do you know if it was metal on metal or Ceramic

I had both hips replaced in 1997. I have been complaining about having the same type pain I had before the replacements. I have been to 8 different doctors trying to find out what was causing the pain. I still haven't found a doctor who could find anything wrong with the way the hips were replaced. They all say everything looks normal. Both my hips are titanium and I have had them for 17 years come June. My pain is sometimes more than I can take and my social life is gone. I have a hard time walking with or without a walker and I have had a pain pump inserted in my stomach wall to help with relieving some of the pain. I am still looking for help but I don't have much hope left after all these years. I pray you will be able to find the help you need.

Me. I'm in so much pain. I had right hip surgery and I'm always in the hospital because it swells and I'm in pain. I have traveled everywhere and one doctor at the number one hospital in the Nation is Hospital for special surgery. They told me that the angle is off, I've lost height on one side. My spine and now painful because of that. Not to mention my legs and feet. I can't do this. Every Doctor keeps saying other than that, that its well seated. That one doctor said the problem and didn't want to do it because he thinks it would put him in the middle of a lost suit. I have to keep looking.

I had total right hip replacement 10 years ago, total right knee replacement 3 years ago and total right shoulder replacement 3 months after the knee. Now have lower back and hip pain going down right leg to my knee. Not going back to doctors, no more surgery for me. Going to try exercise, yoga and whatever I can do on my own.

This is your back....the L2-5 stenosis or bulging discs can mimic the hip. I bet it is your lower back. Do some PT for you back and see if that will not help. If the pain radiates below your knee my experience has been it is my back. I got my hip replaced and it is much better but my lower back and sciatic has now taken over. So we are working on that....sorry you have pain return so frustrating that kind of pain. I suffered for a year till they figured out it was my hip more than my back and that once the hip is better I may still need to deal with my back.