Hi! I have knee osteoarthritis. I am 55 years old woman. How do I know when I'm ready for knee replacement surgery? How long will a knee replacement last? Tell me something about age and knee replacement.

Hi! You are ready when you have those symptoms: swelling of the joint, Knee pain, bow-legged or knock-kneed deformity, loss of motion, feeling of the knee 'giving-way’. Most knee replacements last more than 20 years and many will last much longer. However, it is important to understand that there are potential complications of knee replacement surgery that can decrease the life span of the implant. Because of this, knee replacement should be reserved for older patients with significant symptoms of their arthritis. There is no rule that limits the age of a patient who needs a knee replacement, but surgery should be carefully considered in patients younger than 60 years of age. Before this age, there is a high probability that the knee replacement will wear out in the patient's lifetime.