I am 34 yrs old and had total knee replacement 13 months ago. Since the surgery something is terribly wrong. My knee on a daily bases will swell at least 4 to 5 times its normal size, if not bigger. Not to mention the pain that accompanies it. Just want it fixed.

I would strongly recommend talking to your surgeon and possibly having an additional consult concerning the current condition of your knee implant. You should be recovering relatively fast and should experience little to no pain associated with the implant. Seek help and get answers.

Did you find out anything?
My mother had her knee replacement 5 years ago, same problem you are having. ( She is in her early 50's.) The same surgeon recommended that she have the scar tissue removed, so she did.
The problem came back, swelling, pain, etc.
She saw another surgeon who recommended total replacement again, he thought the replacement was loose.
Now she is afraid to go.
Please keep me updated
Thanks
Lu

I am 49 y/o and had a TKR 26 mo. ago and then debridment (scar tissue removal) 16 mo. ago. For the last few months I have been having steriod injections directly into my implant every 60 days. The injection seems to allow me to keep the mobility in my knee, which reduces the development of scar tissue. I don't really understand why this seems to help but it does. The dr. is concerned about infection but knew that this is the only thing that seems to help my swelling, stiffness and pain. However, he is not wanting to continue with this treatment any longer. I have always thought that the implant was too large and that might be the reason why I've had such difficulty. Its been about a month since the last injection and if my knee starts swelling again this month I am going to make an appointment with a different surgeon to see if I can get any answers.

hi im Debbie, im only 6 weeks right tkr, my knee still feels weird, numb,an sore, swelling gone down but im having lots of muscle pain everyday 24/7, an knots in my ligaments atm im bending to 95 degree, walking is fine but if im on my leg to long its aches real bad an swells a little, i not sure how i should be feeling with this new knee, i have to have the left one done an im dreading the excruciating pain that comes with the surgery, think i will wait some months b4 i decide when to get it done. debbie

Hi , I also think something is wrong with my Knee Replacement , i think its one of the worse things i have had done . My knee was bad before but feel its worse now than ever. Mine feels like its too big in my leg and as if i need to have my tendons cut around my wound so it can release some of the swelling . I had my TKR 11 weeks ago and i got a slight infection and had a night in hospital but that soon cleared up but the aching and it being uncomfortable is driving me daft .

Hi, I am sorry to read about your problems with your TKR. I had a revision done of my total knee replacement 3 weeks ago. The original TKR was done on June 13, 2012. I have been in continuous pain since the knee replacement. I am feeling much better since the revision. The revision consisted of removing scar tissue that had built up in my knee and replacing the upper and the middle part of the implant with a smaller size. I am still undergoing PT to regain range of motion (ROM), but it is quite evident that my knee (and entire leg) is much better since the revision. I would suggest getting a second, third, or even a fourth opinion if necessary until you find someone who offers you real hope for a better outcome. My original surgeon told me that everything was fine with my knee and that there was nothing more that he could do. The third surgeon I went to quickly diagnosed that I had too large and implant and told me that he could give me a better outcome.

I am so glad to read that you are pleased with your revision. I had tkr July 2012. It has never been right. Throwing my hip out of line & causing a lot of muscle pain up & down the complete leg. I had a revision scheduled March 2014, but, chickened out, now I wish I wouldn't have. I have had a second opinion, they both feel the plastic part is wrong size, too thin. I pray when I do have the revision it takes care of my problem.

I had my total knee replacement done 2 years ago and my knee is 3x bigger then my other knee I Feel like my knee wasn't measure correctly and was fitted with to large of a knee replacement when I wear pants one leg looks bigger then the other. don't know what to do about it.

You sound exactly like me.Its been 16 mo of pain and rom of 57*. Finally have appt with a specialist who thinks wrong size

I'm 75 yrs old, I've had two knee replacements, left knee 16 years ago with no problems. Oct.3 had the right knee done. I've had very few problems with either knee. 2012 I had hip replacement- no problems. I think it is the procedure and skills of the surgeon. that makes the difference in recovery and long term
recovery. Recovery is not easy with knee replacements. there is swelling and numbness for a long time afterwards. try to treat the knee with kindness and gentleness, give recovery at least a year.
best wishes. Frances

Hi I had my knee replacement 16 months ago and I had 4 surgeries on it scar tissue removable a scope a wound closure and it still gives me trouble it hurts and it swells and it is bigger than my other knee that I had knee replacement on I had it 19 months ago it hasn't given me and trouble my right is good it is my left that has given me problems every since I had it done please tell me what I should do.

I had total knee replacement with lima implant.. It has been15 months my knees swells at times ,it is numb,hurts a lot and have trouble walking.. doctor says everything is fine. so why is this happening??

Same thing is happening to my father. I'm very concerned

Hi I had a total knee replacement 19mth s ago I knew something was not right with it because of swelling bruising giving way at times well had a ultra scan done got the results 30/82019 the ligaments tendons have not joined up with tkr and consultant said nothing can be done pain I will have to put up with