Hi, I had a THR in Oct 2006 and have recovered well. Off latesometimes I get a shooting pain in the knee that is so bad that I cannot take anymore steps for sometime. Usually, I have to sit down, rest, bend it and flex it and most often it goes away. Somedays it lasts longer and I can feel the pain to a lesser degree.
Any ideas on what can cause this- once before I went back to the Dr, and after taking x-rays, he said the knees are fine.
Thanks

i feel your pain.i had a THR in 2003 and i think my leg is going to fall off.i get a shooting pain from my knee to hip.or sometimes its just my knee.and other times its my hip.the results of my xrays came back okay too.going for an mri soon.hopefully they can figure something out because i cant take to much more of this.

I realise that these posts were made some time ago, but I would be interested in the outcome of your treatments if you found any. I have a friend who has exactly those symptoms after her two hip replacements. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I felt I had to respond to this.  I had both my hips replaced this year.  One mid January, one mid March.  The surgery was a complete success except that I had knee pain after the second surgery.  After suffering for ten days on and off, I saw a soft tissue specialist (Active Release Technique) who worked on my knee for several minutes and the pain was almost gone.   I returned once more and now am totally free from pain.  It appears that I was stressing the second knee when recovering from the first operation and then with the second operation it was a double whammy.  Anyway now I am fine but
seriously, go see a soft tissue specialist - they also break down scar tissue after operations which helps enormously.   And do leg strengthening exercises.
Very important.