Hi. I would like to hear some info about bilateral knee replacements. What is bilateral knee replacement? How long does it take to recover after such surgery? What are disadvantages of bilateral knee replacement?

Hi. Bilateral knee replacement means having both knees replaced. Bilateral knee replacement, or bilateral knee arthroplasty, are not recommended for all patients. The good side is you have only one surgery and one recovery time. Recovery may be slow and difficult at first. You may be hospitalized for a long period of time. The disadvantages of such procedure include a longer time under anesthesia, a longer staying in the hospital and a longer recovery period at your home. Complications of bilateral knee replacement surgery include severe blood loss. Physical therapy is the main part of your recovery. This will take 4-5 months.

I hade bi-lateral knee replacement 2 months ago,
Im walking with a cane now , about 1/2 mile a day
Im still in pain, every day, I hope it was worth it!

Know more information about knee replacements,

http://www.wockhardthospitals.net/knee-replacement.asp

Regards,
Pratheep
Help-lines for International Queries
UK Toll Free: 0-808-234-6343
US Canada Toll Free: 1-800-730-6373
Rest of the World: +91-9980266553

I had bi-lateral knee replacement only 5 weeks ago. I can walk unaided and have 100deg bend. I am still doing hydrotherapy 3 times week and exercise daily. It can only get better from here.

I had a bilateral knee replacement 8 days ago and am still in hospital. So far so good. I am up and walking on crutches but it is still very hard. Woking hard on my PT but it is tourture!

Hope to be home in 4 or 5 days. Thats when the fun starts

All in all it has not been as bad as I expected! I am looking forward to the day I can take the dogs for a walk

I had bilateral knee replacements about 5-6 weeks ago and am getting around pretty good at the moment. I spent about 4 days in the hospital and when I was released, I went home. That was a big mistake. We called CarePartners and they came and picked me up and I spent about 5 days in re-hab there and did great. So glad I went. Each day I notice a little more improvement. I still rely on a walker at times like after sitting for a while or after getting up from a nights sleep. But for the most part, I leave the walker and move around and forget where I left the walker. So I guess I am getting more independent without really realizing it. It took a while before I could really sleep comfortably due to the pain, but now I can basically sleep like I used to before the surgery. I just can't wait til the day I walk normal. Before the surgery I was used to walking a certain way for over 10 years and hope that I can get past that way of thinking.

I just had bi lateral knee rplacemnts three weeks ago and was in re hap for ten days. Just had a set back of having a blood clot in the left calf. Cannot do Therepy for one week so this has me one week behind when I was one week ahead. But I know this shall pass/

I had bilateral knee replacement 7 weeks ago.   I have 125 degrees in one and 128 in the other.  I've been walking unaided for the past 5 weeks.  I did do exercises a month prior to my surgery and am not over weight but other than that can not attribute anything to my rapid recovery.  I now consider myself 95% recovered and walking without pain.   

I had one knee replaced 2 weeks ago and I'm walking on my own. I go in tomorrow for my other knee to be done. I'm hoping things go as well. I'm already in less pain than before.

I had bilateral total knee replacement done 3/8/12.  I was in the hospital for 4 days then moved to a rehab facility for 18 days.  Physical therapy and occupational therapy started the day after the surgery.  By the time I left the rehab facility I was walking with the aid of a cane, could do two flights of steps, and could take care of all of my personal hygene on my own.  During the months of April and May I went to physical therapy 3 times a week and since June am going 2 times a week.  I stopped all pain medication the first of May.  The goal is to have 120 degrees bend, currently my right knee is at 112 and my left knee is at 115.  Immediately after physical therapy I experience a stiffness in my knees, which I'm told is to be expected.  I use ice several times a day and it gives me relief and has helped to reduce the swelling.  I was able to drive and went back to work in the 5th week after surgery.  My doctor has told me that I may have bought and paid for my new knees but I won't really own them until one year post surgery.  I'm so glad I had both done at the same time, I wouldn't have gone back right away to have the second one done. 

I had both knees replaced last December 16.   2011.   I will be 75 in March of 2013.

I am back to playing paddle ball three times a week and can do anything I need to do.  NO PAIN.  Prior to the surgery I had to walk down steps backward because it hurt so much.  Yes rehab was a bi***** but it was all worth it.  I was in the hospital four days and then went home.  My wife was my caregiver and she did it all. You will need help when you get home for sure but it was worth it.  I took PT for three weeks at home and three months at the PT center.  I was back on the courts at the end of March.  Having both done at the same time saves a year of rehap.  My only problem now is some pain gettiing to my feet after sitting for a long time.   Pain is right at the top of the knee at the quadraceps.  My knees are Depuy all metal.  So far I love um.  

Larry in Brighton 

Lori, you're my hero. I'm having bilateral knee replacement on 3/18/13 and am scared to death not of the surgery but of the painful rehab. I'm bone on bone in both knees (why else would I do this) and would like to be fairly mobile by mid-June. My goal is to be able to climb a flight of stairs, be able to shower by myself, and begin my regular workouts again. You sound like you were able to do all that and more.

So here's my stupid question. How long was it before you were able to shave your legs after surgery, if you shave? I know this sounds shallow, but I live in Florida and wear shorts almost year-round and I'm a dark brunette. Enough said.

hi.. i had both knees replaced 8 October: 5 days in hospital, 4 weeks in rehab facility. I didn't use a walker after about 2nd week in rehab and then mostly to get myself up and moving. The physical therapist pointed out that if I had both arms free and could swing them naturally, I"d find walking easier. It was true!
Then home- which is up 60+ stairs. I started back to work part time at first- an office job, so not physically stressful. I walk to work- a short distance, able to do my own grocery shopping within a few weeks of getting home. It was quite painful at first. Quite. but very little pain now. I"m still getting full flexion back, can extend fully. I go 2x week to a yoga/pilates class and do what I can, and a couple times /week to local swimming pool where I do exercises in the water: this is a great help!
What worked: the intensive in-patient rehab: i worked with the PT 2x week and could use some of the equipment whenever it was free. I could also walk a route around the facility- safely. Pain medication: I took it before I started out in the morning, before PT and again in the afternoon before next round of PT. And at night, so I could sleep. You get some nurses who are 'worried' about the pain meds: but I found if I didn't take them on time/sufficient, I was not able to do as much and it would take about 1/2 day to recover from the pain. I pointed out that I was there to work on recovery- and the pain meds. made this more possible. I'd deal with decreasing pain meds when I was no longer in the facility (where I wasn't driving or doing much that required anything more than working on getting better). And that's what I did. I do still occasionally just find that I an TIRED at the end of the day, so I go to bed early, turned down invitations until I felt more ready. I"m glad I had both done at the same time. It may have made recovery harder, but I can't imagine getting through one and then having to go through the same thing again. (I'm 65.. if that matters)