Hi everyone I'm new here and I'm hoping you can help me.

This has been going on a few days. I'm noticing a thick white (smelly) discharge and I have stomach cramps. I missed my period this week and I'm on Yaz for birth control so I'm always regular.

At first I thought it was a yeast infection but it doesn't itch (and anyone who has had one knows they are horrible when it comes to that). I have a nauseous feeling off and on but it doesn't actually feel like I'm going to throw up. I hope that makes sense. A few days ago I had a lower back pain that hurt when I went to the bathroom. This has faded to the point that my lower back is just sore.

I feared that I was pregnant and I have taken 2 pregnancy tests. They both are neg.

About six months ago I had PID (no std) and a UTI which the medication then caused C-diff. I had the PID and UTI for about 3 months until I found a doctor that knew what she was doing and then I was put on some pretty wicked medication for those that then caused the Colitis. (I'm only 21 and I'm told c-diff affects older people)

I have an appointment with my doctor this week but I am really freaking out because the nurses can't tell me what it may be. Does this sound like anything to anyone? I'm so scare that I'm pregnant or that I'm getting sick again :-(

Hi Kalli: this sounds totally like vaginitis or PID! It is VERY common honey, so don't worry about that. ALSO know that sometimes women can get yeast infections without having the itch. Here are symptoms of Vaginitis

http://www.medicinenet.com/vaginitis/page2.htm

Here are the symptoms of PID

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/women/reproductive/sti/213.html

C dif! Is caused by bacteria when someone has a low immune system. That is why more and more people get this type of illness while they are in hospital! It usually occurs after someone has been ill for a long time and been on Antibiotics! Colitis can occur after the C-Diff! You just have to watch out for it in the future. The colitis will be more about diarreha than the nausea!

Have you had any unprotected sex recently? Becausew PID IS usually caused by having sex with someone with gonorrhea or clymidia!

You need to get some help ASAP honey! I know you are seeing your doctor, but the sooner you get some help the better. Obviously you have a major infection going on! It definitely doesn't sound like you are pregnant! Those symptoms are definitely something to do with an illness! So as soon as you find out what's happening, please let me know OK? Good luck and health honey and don't worry, you will get treated, check out these sites and look at ways of trying to prevent it in the future!

Thank you so much!

I am thinking that it is a relapse of PID. I know other things cause PID then STDS and it is not possible for me to have an STD. I am in a monogamous relationship with one man who is faithful to me. When I had the PID last time it was caused by bacteria, not an STD.

Thanks so much for the input, waiting until Wednesday will be easier now that I have an idea of what it is.

Blessings

One other thing,

Last time I had PID, my Fiance was not treated for it. Again, there was no STD present but can he have PID?

Glad I could help hon! PID's are caused by bacteria entering the Cervix and into the uterus. So I just read a bit more about your Fiance, and basically it keeps going on the premise of an STI/STD! So I know that neither of you have that, but to be safe I would have him use a condom, because it is an INFECTTION! So it would be the same as if you had unprotected sex while you had a full out yeast infection! As women we are more susceptable to infections, but that doesn't mean that men can't get them too! So just to help both of you out, and IF it is - which we both think you do - then it is probably best to keep on using a condom from now on. Due to you getting infections! Ask your doctor when you see him/her next week! Just to reduce the chances of you getting it again right?

I just read another site about that if your partner is not treated for the infection too, he will pass that back to you!!!!! So that makes sense doesn't it? So if you both get treated with major anitbiotics then this should stop this viscious cycle!

One other point! Since you will probably be put on major anitbiotics, start taking acidopholus now! Such as in yogurt, by pill or added to meals! This will stop any yeast infection. Yogurt with probiotics in it is the best! Isn't being a woman fun?!!!!!! ;-) 8-| XD That's why I always say "this is proof that God IS a man!!!!" ;-) XD Good luck and health to both of you!

Thanks again!

I saw that too but I was wondering if it was just that the STD is passed back and forth. I am wondering if the first time I had PID, I gave it to him and then he gave it back to me after I was treated. I feel so dense for not thinking of it beforehand. I know how I got PID the first time (they didn't teach about proper wiping and stuff in sex ed and I didn't know about it until I got sick).

We probably won't use the condoms, I have an issue with them. Even the non-latex, non-lube, non spermicide ones give me a heck of a rash. It is one of the reasons I'm so careful with my pill. But I'm not too worried about that after this is fixed and he and I are treated due to the above factors.

It makes sense why I am sick and I will be asking my doctor about whether or not he needs to be treated. Hopefully, this will be the last time I (and he) go through this.

I am trying to eat more yogurt. The ones that taste like pie are the best because they don't taste like yogurt. They do have the live cultures in them. Is that what you are talking about?

As for god being a man, I don't think so. Men are too sympathetic to this sort of thing. My fiance treats me like china when I get menstrual cramps. lol

Be well, and thank you so much for the support! I'll keep you posted after my Dr. Appt. on Wednesday.

I've been giving advice for a long time honey and It didn't occur to me till I read it and thought "YEAH! That makes sense!!!" So you're not alone in that! I think it would be a good idea either way for him to be on antibiotics too! This will take it all away for both of you! The yogurt should have "probiotic cultures" on the front! Good luck and health and let me know!

Hello again,

So I went to the doctor's yesterday. First, the good news: I am not pregnant and I do not have PID.

I do however, have a hell of a yeast infection which they gave me cream and pills for.

She (the doctor) said that my missed period can just be from the lining being too thin. My periods have gotten pretty light and only last between 1-3 days. I have been on Birth control for going on about 3 years so that is normal.

As for the pelvic pain, I had two ultrasounds and I go for blood work on saturday. I find out what is going on next thursday. They tested me already for a uti and a bunch of other stuff so she (my doctor) didn't tell me what it can be yet.

I did get ovarian cysts, that is the main reason for the birth control but Yaz was supposed to control it.

On a side note: anyone who reads this and takes Yaz, speak to your doctor. I was switched to another one because it can cause heart arithmia.

Now that that is done, I am in a bit of pain. Kinda like menstrual cramps. They come and go but when they come, they hurt pretty bad. I also have the "cramping" in my lower back. I was offered pain meds for it but I turned it down, I'm a tiny woman and pain medication makes it so that I sleep for the time I'm taking it. I hate the feeling it gives me and sometimes it gives me nightmares. Right now, I'm taking IB profen for pain and just trying to take it easy until I know what's up.

Thanks for your concern and support.

Any ideas about what this could be, please list them.

Oh, I forgot, silly me.

The man does not have to be treated for PID when it is not caused by an STD.

So my honey is safe.

Blessings.

What about the yeast infection though? I know that women who are sexually active have greater chances of UTI's or yeast infections. It's just that when I read that, I thought "Yeah that makes sense!" I remember going to my gynecologist once and he said "BOY do you have a heck of a yeast infection!" I was shocked, I had ZERO symptoms of it! So you just never know!

The pain is probably from your cystic ovary! I've heard of problems with Yaz and Depro too! So what I tell other women is TOTALLY get followed by your doctor and really look at the possible side effects! A very dear friend of mine died 2 years ago from a clot from her BCP!!! She also smoked, which increases the chances! It really opened all of our eyes to what's happening with our bodies! I know Yaz reduces the length and heaviness of periods, but like you said there's down sides too!

It sounds like you have a really on the ball doctor and I'm glad she has sent you for ALL the tests! So please let me know what the tests show OK? Glad to hear it's just the yeast infection! Keep on with those probiotic CAKE like yogurts!!!

I had a yeast infection a few weeks ago which I treated with otc stuff. It was caused by antibiotics from my wisdom teeth removal. I guess I didn't get all of it. And until she examined me I had no symptoms beyond discharge and irritation that I didn't even know about. (after the exam I was pretty itchy and sore but wounds and such always hurt more after you know about it)

I'm not sure what the pelvic pain is yet. I am hoping it is just a cyst that will fade in a week or so. I'll find out Thursday what's going on and I will keep you posted.

My Doctor is amazing. She is extremely kind and compassionate and she only keeps on nurses who are as well. So no one in her office is rude or heartless when one goes in. She answers my Fiance's questions when he has them (he goes in with me for my exams. I had a troubled childhood so they are usually pretty rough on me).

Back to the yeast infection: I am eating yogurt a lot. Eating 1 serving of yogurt, 3 times a week lessens your chance of a uti 80%. Sex does increase our chances of illness but let's be honest, that doesn't mean that anyone will stop. You just have to be careful. Go to the bathroom right after sex, don't douche or shave (down there) and use unscented soap. Also wear loose undies that are primarily if not 100% cotton. And lastly, wipe front to back.

I really wish that they taught us girls this in school when they separate us from the boys for the sex talk. They hound in the STDs every year after age 9; but they just don't teach girls basic higene like this and that really annoys me. I mean most of the stuff I wrote above, I either learned from my doctor in Jan or I saw on a talk show this passed year. I think my being 21 makes that a little ridiculous.

Blessings

update!

I really don't know how to put this into words. My mind is still trying to absorb it.

My doctor believes that I have a growth on my pituitary gland. My prolactin levels are extremely high and it explains the cramps and missed periods. The good news is that this is benign and controlled with medication. The bad news is that that medication is taken indefinitely. I have to go for an MRI (wednesday) to confirm the growth. Once the diagnosis is confirmed I am being referred to a neurosurgeon. Again, this does not mean surgery.

That was the worst of it, but not all. My hormone levels are indicating that my thyroid is slow. This explains my quick weight gain in the past few years. We are talking of about 30 pounds in 3 years. I'm not terribly overweight, I was underweight when I was younger but still for my habits not changing, this is pretty drastic. I will be going to my family doctor Wednesday evening for a referral to a specialist. This one is not surprising. My family has a history of thyroid problems. Which was the reason for the test in the first place. I just never thought it'd happen to me. Moral of this story is, if you have a high chance for something like this and you have signs that it may be an issue for you, get it checked.

I'll admit, when the doctor told me the former of these two, I was shocked and I cried. Anyone who reads the above posts will realize, this wasn't in any corner of my mind as to a possibly outcome. However, when I consider how worse off I can be and that I again got the lesser of the possible illnesses, I am feeling pretty darn lucky.

The possible outcome of this is that I take medication to control both of these for an indefinite period of time. Of course, there are other cases of what it may be but I am trying not to think of anything other than, a pill will fix this. I will be fine. Everything is going to be OK.

I'll keep you posted as I am able.

Hi honey! Sorry to hear that, just know that this growth happens quite often actually! So I just did some more research for you and found you the Pituitary Organization

http://www.pituitary.org/faq/faq.aspx

As you will see from reading this, that 1 in 5 people have this OK? And due to it being BENIGN!!!! Thank God!! You will be easily treated! Just remember not to read too much into the negative parts of any website or link! They can get scary, but they HAVE to tell you EVERYTHING! Doesn't mean it will happen OK?

Good luck honey and please don't hesitate to get on here and talk to me about anything OK? You are going to be JUST FINE!!!!! I PROMISE!! Much love and hugs!

Hi Kalli. I am so sorry to hear about your diagnosis but I think that whatever happens, you will be able to handle it. I hope that you're doing okay. Have you read much about the procedure? Did you get a chance to visit Bambi's link yet? Keep us posted okay? You're in our thoughts.

Thank you so much for the support!
I have been reading every medical website/ journal I can get my little hands on. Ignorance frightens me and with something like this, I really think the best thing is to know all I can.

I am passed the freaking out stage and going onto the "OK, what now?" part. Waiting for the MRI and such is really getting to me because I keep doing the "what ifs". I'm trying to stay positive and yet get ready for lifelong meds or possible surgery in the future.

With the tumor (I'm only just started being able to stay the word without crying so please bear with me) I have a few ways this can go. It may not even be there (which obviously is the best case scenario). I have a tiny (and I mean tiny) chance that this is all my thyroid and once I am on medication.. poof! I'll be all better. Another way is reversed, my low thyroid be due to the tumor and once that it is shrunk my thyroid fixes itself. Another is that they are two separate cases and I just won the lottery (you know except the whole money thing).

I will be put at least on one medication to shrink the growth. This will be for years. I've seen that some people were put on another medication to push more dopamine into the system. Dopamine is what stops the production of Prolactin and the tumor is stopping this from happening. I guess it depends on what I need to get my levels back to normal.

Obviously I will be on thyroid medication for the foreseeable future but that isn't my main worry. The tumor scares me more then my thyroid.

I will be on the shrinking med for this for a while. I've seen everything from patients taking this for 10 years to indefinite periods of time (one woman has been taking it for 30 years and is still on it). This tumor does cause infertility but that is corrected once the hormones are under control.

I am looking at bloodwork, an MRI or CAT Scan and getting my vision checked once a year if not more. This is even after the tumor is gone and if the team of doctors that I'll be going to believe that I can be off meds.

I am not thinking about surgery yet. It usually is not a worry so I am not worrying about it. I'll cross that bridge if I get to it.

I have good moments where I am feeling OK and then moments where my stomach hurts and I am so tired that I can barely think. The worst part is waiting to know what is happening. I just want to know and to fix it already but I have to wait for the doctors and the appointments and it is really hard to be patient. As I said above, my mind is my worst enemy here. I think too much and the what ifs really start to add up. Its hard to get my mind is quiet down because everytime my stomach hurts and such it snaps you right back to the fear. I'm fighting to stay positive and doing a lot to keep my mind off of it.

I want you to know that this doesn't stop anything. I am continuing college this fall, I am currently planning my fiance and my wedding for April and I will be OK.

Thank you so much for the support and I will post again after I find out what the MRI says.

Blessings.