I've been on the birth control Yasmin for 6 years now, this past year i've noticed an excessive about of discharge starting 2 weeks before my period. It's normally a red/brown colour and can sometimes be almost liquidy...its really gross and annoying, I can feel it when it comes out and often need to use a liner its so much...is this normal? anything I can do to stop it?

This is MY personal opinion - not professionally based - but I do NOT like Yasmin - there are MANY MANY women who have problems with Yaz and Yasmine! Breakthrough bleeding is one of them - this is what you are experiencing! It could be time to take a break from it or change it! You need to see your doctor and ask him/her about the side effects of Yasmin and tell them what you are going through! You should have a pap test too! Please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health1

Ok that makes a lot more sense if its breakthrough bleeding...I've told my doctor about a lot more symptoms i've been experiencing and he kept telling me it was normal, like headaches throught my period, cramps that just started, my period starting on a different day, etc.. things i never experienced while been on the pill until recently... i've also asked if its possible if the pill can stop working if you've been on it for a long time and he said no...but i don't feel right so i'm definately going to go back and tell him about the breakthrough bleeding. Is there a birth control pill you recommend? I started taking them because i had really irregular and painful periods along with other symptoms.

Perhaps a progesterone only pill would be good for you! Also know that a lot of doctors get monies for perscribing certain pills! I know that your doctor still has your health in mind - but he will be definitely leaning towards the one certain types! So ask your friends and see what they say, look into each type of pill etc. It's been a LONG time since I was on the pill honey, and there are SO many out there right now, so do research and ask away! Some doctors believe in having a BCP break - I lean towards this too - BUT like I said I am NOT a doctor or professional, so this is up to you honey! A GREAT herb for cramping is called Cramp Bark! And this is great if you have clotting and pain! So look into ALL things OK? Breakthrough bleeding is a sign that something else is going on! So get some knowledge!

Hope this helps, you honey!

So I went to see my doctor today and he suggested I switch pills, so he wants me to go on Yaz instead of Yasmine that I was on...I was nervous about Yaz because of all things you hear about heart attacks and strokes and death and I told him and asked him if it was safe and he just said that all pills carry this risk and that as long as I don't smoke then i'll be fine, so i'll give it a try and see what happens I guess...do you know any side effects of swiching pills? or will it just continue to be the same? He also wants me to see a gyno.

Hi honey! 1st of all Yaz and Yasmine are made by the same company, Yaz has less estrogen! So I am queering that move! IT is REALLY good that you are going to see a gynecologist! So please let me know how you make out OK? Good luck and health honey!

Seriously, I did not know that! So basicall it won't do anything but cause more problems? Great 8-| But why do I need to go to the gyno? like what will they do, or what is there to detect? I had a pap test less than a year ago and everything came back fine, and I think I started spotting then.

Anytime you are on BC you need to be seen by a gynecologist! Pap tests, different pills, etc. It's just part of your overall health! The reason why I like you going to a gynecologist instead of a GP is that this person will be TOTALLY up on different pills and what YOU need, instead of the popular ones! YAZ IS slightly different, is about 20mg less of estrogen - so this could help, it is still a tri pill though! And I truly think you need to be on a progesterone only pill - just know it is SLIGHTLY less protective against pregnancy - just slightly though! so have your partner use a condom - it's a good idea anyway, to erradiacte any chance of pregnancy! See what the Gynecologist says, IF you didn't like the one last year, ask for another one! It's YOUR body!

Okay...so my doctor said they would make an appointment for me to see the gyno and then call me back when the date is set...I still have yet to hear anything back from them!

So before I started taking Yaz I had to finish the pack of Yasmin first...well it seems like I never get a break, this time I decided to keep track of all my symptoms to show to the doctor, so last month I started my period on April 17th (well thats when it was suppose to come but it mainly started on the 18) and the last day of it was the 21st ....so I get three days of nothing and then on April 25 I start getting clear discharge (like a lot, everytime I go to the bathroom and sometimes in between then, its sooo gross!!) so that lasts till the 30th...and then I start spotting (well thats what I think it is %-) its clear with a pink stain) and that lasts for four days and then I start breakthrough bleeding (thats what you said it was), with some tiny clots ....then on May 15th i'm suppose to get my period but again I don't really start bleeding till the 16th and it is very light on the 19th. So I started to take Yaz on may 20th and ever since the 21st i've been having clear discharge!! It is so annoying and gross and frustrating!!

And to top it all off, i've been having some pain on my left side...its not always constant pain, but if I move a certain way, or sit a certain way or whatever, sometimes it just happens, I feel pain (its like a sharp pain and doesn't last long) but its on and off non stop and its been like that for two months now...sometimes when i'm on my period I can feel it on my right side too..I'm not sure if its my ovary or not, or could it be my bladder (not exaxtly sure where thats located %-) )

Due to the lower estrogen the clear discharge and the pain on one side just might be your body ovulating this month! Because this does happen from time to time, so use a condom if you have sex OK? Give this a try for a couple of weeks, and jot the dates down, IF this is ovulatiuon I would think that your period should be coming on in about 2 weeks - remember different pills can make it wonky

Okay, thanks!! :-D I will definately keep an eye on it and write it all down, ovulating would have never crossed my mind while being on the pill! But I am due for my period in about two weeks...hopefully its not a painful one because of this!!

Hi bambi27,
Sorry to bother you with useless questions but i've been on Yaz for a month now and thought I should have had my period by now but I still haven't gotten it, the pamphlet said you'd get it as soon as you started to take the white pills but I never got mine (well i had a ton of discharge is thats what it was) and I hate never knowing when its comming as i don't want any "surprises!" I know I just switched and it takes some getting used to, but I also read it makes your periods shorter, ya its every womens dream but I don't think thats healthy...and probably the cause of all my spotting...I just want to be healthy and let my body do its thing! You said you wrote an article about it? Do you know where I can find that? i'd be interested in reading it. What about Yaz don't you like?

You also said you recommend a progesterone only pill, i've never heard of them before...or taking a break from the pill, why is that?

I would greatly appreciate your opinion and knowledge! :-D

Ask away honey, that's why I'm here! I don't like Yaz becaue of recent lawsuits against the comapny that makes Yaz and Yasmine regarding deaths, heart attacks, and severe problems! I think if you go to the top of the screen and click on Search, then type in my moniker - bambi27 it should show it - it was an article! Progesterone only pills are slightly less effective than Tri pills, YET they don't give you more estrogen - and thus can lower your risk of problems! Yaz is famous for stopping periods, so I think this is what is happening for you right now! Just like you stated about your concern about not having a period, I TOTALLY agree with that, I believe that when you mess with mother nature, she can mess back! I believe (my personal non medical opinion) is that the womans body is set up to shed each month! I understand - from personal experience - when you need it to lesson or go away, but not continually! When I heard of uterine ablation I was mortified about that! I just don't think there is enough research into the long term effects of not allowing your body to be "normal"!

The main reason why I like women to have a break from the pill - IF this is OK for them (they don't need the pill for medical reasons) - Is I lost a dear friend of mine because of the pill! She was on it for YEARS and died from a blood clot that went to her brain! So I am just concerned about the long term consequences of being on the pill for years on end! BUT that is MY opinion!

Ya I can't seem to find it, would you happen to recall the name of the article?

Are progesterone only pills just less effective against pregnancy or other things? like do they still work like normal birth control in managing pain and making your period regular? Because if its just the pregnancy part then I can deal with that, i'm still a virgin!

I didn't know they fully stopped periods!! so it just all keeps building up inside!? that cannot be good! we wouldn't have a period if we weren't suppose too, ya I hate them but their there.

Like I said, i've been on Yasmin for 6 years, was almost 7...About taking a break, like how often do you think you should take breaks from it? and for how long? (again I know your not a doctor but you seem informative!) I want too, but i'm scared too, I have hypothyroidism (so I know my hormones aren't working properly, but my doctor said its not sever enough to treat) and I may have PCOS (still waiting to find that out) I can possible deal with pain for a few months but with my work its really hard to just call in sick.

How long were you on the pill for? so sorry to hear about your friend!! and thats what scares me!! did she have any warning signs?

Thanks for your opinion though!!

Hi honey! I can't find it either! Just Google Yaz/Yasmine lawsuit and you will get the same information that I posted! Progesterone pills are less effective against pregnancy! BUT Tri pills are usually used more for painful periods etc, or if someone wants to lessen their periods! What the pill does is stop you ovulating, so your lining doesn't start building up - as much - waiting for a conceived egg! And over time the lining can become less and less - due to the hormone concoction! So don't worry OK? Blood doesn't build up month after month! IF there is a thick lining there, the body WILL shed it - regardless if you are on the pill or not! It's just most pills thin it out!

Due to you having painful periods, I want you to continue on the pill! These are great to help! NEVER do anything without talking to the doctor first OK? Your period could be from the thyroidism too! So it's good to have a check up just to see how everything is going OK?