Hi, my daughter was a perfect child until she reached her teenage years. She was brining home from school only the best marks. She had a lot of friends. And, most importantly, she was perfectly healthy. Now all she thinks about is her weight. She has become obsessed with calories and exercise. The girls that are now her best friends are exactly the same. I know that adolescents have specific views on life, but I fear that my daughter is suffering from some kind of disorder. She refuses to talk to me about it. Do you have some kind of experience with adolescent disorders?

Hi, judging from your words I would say that your daughter suffers from a serious eating disorder that usually shows its first symptoms in adolescent years. The condition that I think is in question is anorexia. I had the same problem for a long time, even when my teenage years were long gone. Anorexia is not just an eating disorder but a mental problem as well. I was on diet plans all of the time and no matter how much weight I lost, I always saw myself as being too fat. Every problem I had I used to somehow relate to my weight. I was able to go through a day only on water and diet pills. My parents were not conscious about my problem until I fainted in school and was admitted to hospital where the doctors diagnosed me with anorexia. By that time I had seriously endangered my health, but I was still not aware of my disorder. It took a lot of psychiatric therapy before I realized what I was doing to myself. I am now past my problem but I still see my psychiatrist, just to be safe. I think that your daughter is lucky that you have noticed her problem at the beginning. You should talk to her about the dangers of her way of life and take her to a professional because anorexia is a life threatening condition that you won’t be able to resolve on your own.