Hi, my daughter is 17 years old, and she is excessively preoccupied with her looks. She is a pretty girl, there’s nothing wrong with her, but she is convinced that she’s ugly. I told my friend about that, and she told me that it could be dysmorphic disorder. What do you think about that?

Hi, your daughter has the symptoms of this dysmorphic disorder, it’s true. But I think you shouldn’t run with the conclusions, because she’s very young. Most teens are preoccupied with their looks, but it doesn’t last forever. They grow up and learn to accept themselves as they are. Dysmorphic disorder is a condition characterized by preoccupying obsessions with a particular body part. It can range from relatively mild to very severe, and prognosis is always better if the treatment starts on time. That’s why you should take your daughter to a doctor, just in case that she really has dysmorphic disorder. In young girls, it can often lead to anorexia, bulimia and depression.