Hi, I went to see a psychiatrist about my relationships problems. The thing is that I get bored easily and I can not stay with a partner for a long time. To make things worse I also have trouble with meeting new people because I am extremely shy. The therapist asked if I grew up in a healthy environment. I didn't see what my family situation has to do with it. After I have told her everything about my childhood she concluded that I have an antisocial personality disorder! Are my parents and their constant fighting the cause of my problems?

Hi, I am not a professional therapist, but I know a thing or few about the antisocial personality disorder. My brother suffers from the same condition. Antisocial personality disorder is an inheritable condition. But not everybody who has the genes shows the signs of the disorder. The environmental factors have an influence too. We also grew up in a dysfunctional family. Our parents fought a lot and my brother and I were left on our own. He did not handle this situation well. The signs of antisocial personality disorder started to show when he was a teenager. With the years his problems with the law ceased, but the communication issues remained. He refused to go to a therapist and insisted that there is nothing wrong with him. One day we had an argument and he hit me. This convinced him that he has a problem and that he needs to seek professional help. He has been seeing a therapist for two years now and she has helped him tremendously. I suggest that you listen to your psychiatrist and continue with the therapy if you want to have a chance for a normal life.