Hello, guys. My daughter is an adolescent. My husband and I have recently noticed that she has been stealing various things. We took her to the psychiatrist and after several conversations, she was diagnosed kleptomania. I would like to know whether medications can help with the treatment of this condition. Thanks.

Hello. The core of the treatment of kleptomania is psychotherapy. The main tool is behavior modification. This disorder is easily treated. It is important to find another occupation that will replace stealing. Medications can help. Prozac is often used. There are some studies where naltrexone is used, but you should consult with your daughter’s psychiatrist with that. I hope your daughter will feel better. Bye!

Hi there,
This condition can get her into many troubles. The fact is that this can be very embarrassing for her and in most cases people will not admit to themselves that they have a problem. You daughter can be treated with medication but she might even need psychotherapy. I don’t know what your therapist told you about this and if she started the treatment already, but as soon as this starts the sooner will end. I think that there are some psychotic medications that can help here but they need to be prescribed by psychiatrist. Have you noticed any other behavioral problems with your daughter in past time before she was diagnosed with kleptomania?
All the best,
Danella