Hi, my daughter is diagnosed with auditory processing disorder. It all began when she started going to school. The teacher noticed that she shows no interest in the group activities. It seems that she is bothered with loud noises. Because she had trouble with reading the teacher suggested professional help. An audiologist made the diagnosis. I feel like there is nothing I can do to help her. Is there something I can do for my daughter with her auditory processing disorder?

Hi, auditory processing disorder can be caused by head trauma or repetitive ear infections among other things. This disorder is what is causing your daughter’s school problems. Teachers are usually not aware about child’s problem so you should be thankful that your daughter’s teacher noticed the problem. Besides the professional help, there are a couple of things you can do to help your child. First of all, you should provide a quiet learning environment for your daughter. Because your child is bothered with loud noises, your home should be peaceful and calm. When you give out tasks make sure that you are talking directly to your daughter. Use simpler sentences and talk a bit slower. Make sure to complement her whenever she does something correctly. I am positive that if you follow these tips and your daughter’s doctor orders your child will overcome her auditory processing disorder.