I am wondering is it possible to reach high level of self-being through meditation and if so what is self meditation I could use to reach this goal. I am actually having a problem dealing with my anxiety and frequent depression and I see meds and drugs won't do me well for I am even more depressed after I stop taking them. So I was thinking that self meditation would maybe improve my mental health.

Meditation is about self well-being its goal is to reach the level where your mind would be free of any negative energy. And you could achieve that by using variable meditation techniques focused on yourself being and I am almost sure if you develop a habit of regular frequent self meditation you could forget that you ever had a depression or anxiety and you won’t have to use any drugs. I meditate for years in fact more than a decade and I assure I can control possible physical pains at this moment and I have reached to this point by self meditation. While meditate you are focused on your inner self-being you could imagine some pleasant images I usually stand at some point where I could see the ocean and the slight winter is touching my face or sometimes I repeat the word I like. There are so many ways to improve your-self through meditation but before you start with doing it try to gain some knowledge regarding the right way of doing self meditation and especially regarding the proper breathing for this is essential if someone wants to meditate.

Good for you for noticing the side effects of those drug. It's also good that you've decided to start with meditation. I suggest that you do it first under the supervision of someone who knows more about meditation like an yoga teacher. Yoga exercises can also help you deal with your emotions. Good luck!

I also suffer from depression and anxiety and I use meditation to help me. I also stopped using antidepressants because they would make me sick if I skipped a dose. I went to a health care practitioner who told me that my kind of depression was likely caused by an insufficient amount of seratonin being produced in the brain, so she told me to take 5HTP and GABA, which have really helped me. I'm not suggesting you take those necessarily, but try also seeing a homeopath or naturopath who can suggest a great natural alternative.

As for meditation, that's been great for me to change negative energy into positive energy. If you want suggestions on various types of meditation, there's manta meditation, which is saying positive words or phrases over and over; guided imagery meditation, in which you listen to a person guiding you through a relaxing location, or listening to sounds of a relaxing location and picturing yourself there; breathing meditation, in which you relax through careful, slow, full breathing; mindfulness meditation, in which you let your mind go where it wants to go, remembering to focus on positive energy and letting go of any stress that comes into your mind; and conceptual meditation, in which you imagine yourself succeeding at a goal or concept, such as permanently replacing your depression and anxiety with long-standing joy. I've tried each myself to see which ones suit me best. Mantra and mindfulness are the best for me, but it may differ for you, so try them out.

Also, if you want to use music during your meditation, try using Pandora free internet radio. Google it and sign up for free. They have a "calm meditation" radio station that I regularly use for my meditation; it's fantastic!