Hello everyone,

I am suffering from anxiety, I am quite aware of that, I am not denying it and I am searching for ways to make myself feel better, for me and for people who are around me.

I recently heard that meditation can help relieve anxiety. Does anyone have an opinion on this? Did anyone try meditating while suffering from anxiety? I have two close friends who are both meditating on a daily basis but they don't really have any connection with anxiety, I want to hear this from someone who is in the same situation as I am, you know.

Hi there.

At several ways indeed. But as far as I know it can usually control your mind. I vote for meditations over medications.  Meditation can definitely help you with this part of the problem by quieting the overactive mind and it can help you at pretty good way. Instead of burying into your fearful thoughts,some medications, or antidepressants,  you can start identifying with the silence that exists between every mental action. Through regular practice, you experience that you’re not simply your thoughts and feelings. It can be very hard at the beginning, but once you learn it you will love mediation. 

Meditation is wonderful, there is a saying that goes something like this: "You should sit in meditation for twenty minutes every day — unless you’re too busy. Then you should sit for an hour."

I love meditating, and I didn't really have any problems when I was starting to do it. However, if you have a question on your mind, if there is a decision to be made, if you have some unresolved issues, you might not be able to meditate until you resolve these things, at least this is how it worked with me. And it can definitely help you with anxiety.

I know that a lot of people vote for medications. Sure, they can help you. But...Temporarily, if you ask me! I never believed that something can be so amazing and so wonderful as meditation. Look, when you meditate regularly, the parts of your brain that regulate thoughts about yourself actually start to change. And you sometimes think that you are at some other part of your life. For example, instead of attaching emotional reactions like fear to those thoughts, your brain starts to connect feelings of openness and non-judgement.. Those are the researches that are correct. And don't tell us that you don't have enough time to meditate. You have. I do it before I go to sleep and I feel really amazing.

Meditation is really amazing, it is one of the best ways out there to learn how to control your thoughts and stay calm. It can definitely help you relieve anxiety but for people who are suffering from anxiety, it is not so easy to start meditating. However, if you want it enough, I am sure that you can do it.

I would consult someone eyes to eyes, someone who has been meditating for a long period of time now so they can give you some sort of directions. Either way, I really think that this will be very good for you.

Meditation and yoga. If you can do both, do both, because they work even better when combined.

Tell me, since you said that you have two close friends who are meditating on a daily basis, what do you think about them? Are they calm, open minded people, who don't get angry or upset easily? Do they somehow seem smarter and calmer than other people who are maybe not meditating? That is what meditation does to you, it makes you calmer, makes you think clearly, lets you get control over your thoughts. It is probably the best relaxation method that has ever been created.

Yes, I spoke to my friends about it and they did say only good things about meditation and they said that it can help me with my anxiety, but I just wanted to hear this from someone who was or is suffering from anxiety as well, you know.

Okay, since everyone here is basically telling me to try meditating, okay, I will do it then. I don't know about yoga, I guess I can try that as well, if you think that it might help too. If you have any other thoughts to share with me regarding this, I will very much appreciate it.

I just LOVE meditation. It helps me feel good when I am feeling down. My mom used to tell me stories about meditation when I started to be depressed or when I was dealing with anxiety, but I didn't trusted her on this because I believed that meditation doesn't make any sense.

Well, that was not correct. One day I decided to try it and I need to tell you that it takes me more than 40 minutes to have successful meditation. But I did it. I don't do it very often now, because I don't have a time. But I recommend you to try it! 

I think that meditation is the best thing in the whole wide world. No, I am serious. Before I found out what meditation really is, I was like dumbest person without knowing where I am going. For example, my mom began to meditate like decade ago and she took me to the magic world of the meditation. It was not easy for me to learn how to do it, but thanks God I had her by my side and she explained me all those things that I didn't know. This is one of the alternative therapies and I am sure that it is helpful than any other medications. It relieves you from stress, anxiety and depression as well. You should try to learn it, trust me...you will love it!