Hi! I'm new here and in meditation. I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone here who's tried meditative techniques. Was it successful? I have problems with sleep for some time and I got a recommendation from acquaintance that I should try relaxation techniques and meditation. I usually can't sleep due to racing thoughts. I've tried herbal supplements, but they didn't help. I don't want to use sleeping drugs. I also have angry outbursts, especially when I'm distracted, and I have problem to regain concentration afterwards. Does daily meditation actually help with these issues? I'd like to be able to relax and to tune my brain to avoid any distractions, because my job requires a lot of concentration.

Hello. Of course mediation can help with sleeping troubles. Meditation allows your mind to settle, thus causing relaxation of muscles and mind. It also helps by reducing anxiety associated with insomnia. Anyway, you should begin practicing meditation during your waking hours, not in the middle of the night. That won't be effective. You must start preparations during the day, and then you'll master the routine enough to be able to meditate even during the night when you wake up and can't sleep. As you become familiar with meditation practice, try to apply meditation practice to as many different situations as possible. By doing this you keep your mind in shape and you'll be able to relax much easier.

I find relaxing/meditating prior to going to bed is often very helpful. What I have found even more helpful, especially if you are new to meditating, is to use a "guided" cd/recording to help you. Usually there will be soothing music in the background, and someone guiding you through a process of relaxing. I have found this very useful as it helps you practice the art of relaxation. In fact I listen to this sort of thing actually in bed with earphones, sometimes falling asleep while doing it. This may not strictly speaking be proper meditation technique but at least the relaxation helps me sleep.