I just talked to my friend who told me she got a diet tea that contains senna. I have never heard this substance was used as dietary product. That is why I would like to know how this herb is bad for health. I wonder if that is unsafe to drink it everyday to lose weight. I want to know more about it, because maybe I would like to try it also.

Many diet teas are available on the market, some contain senna, and others include aloe, cascara sagrada, or buckthorn. Just because these are natural ingredients does not mean they are safe. All of them have cathartic or laxative effects. Contrary to popular belief, laxatives do not reduce or prevent the absorption of calories from food. Moreover, laxatives, such as senna is do not shed fat from our bodies. They do interfere with nutrient absorption and cause losses of important electrolytes, salts, such as sodium and potassium. Drinking any of these purported diet teas may produce diarrhea, nausea, stomach cramps, and seriously condition known as dehydration. People who have seen a weight loss on the scale from ingesting these teas immediately regain it because a fluid loss account is for the temporary weight reduction. Your gastrointestinal tract can also become severely damaged by regular use of laxatives, such as senna. Senna is a powerful herbal laxative, and that is why, when sold as a nonprescription drug, over the counter, senna must carry the warning how it should not be used for a period longer than 1 week.