I have a baby that is only 15 months old and lately I have heard something that really worries me. One friend of mine had problem with life threatened condition that attack her baby. She told me that was some severe allergic reaction. I think it happened after her baby took some medicine. I would like to hear more about it, because I am scared now.

The point with severe allergic reaction is that body's immune system responds to the presence of an allergen. This reaction is marked by releasing histamine and some other body chemicals. These chemicals cause the symptoms of allergies, which are usually mild but annoying. Example would be runny nose of hay fever, called as allergic rhinitis, or even itchy rash of poison ivy. However, in some cases, the symptoms can be much worse and involve the entire body, which is severe allergic reaction. Anaphylaxis is the name of the most severe allergic reaction. In anaphylaxis, these immune chemicals cause serious skin symptoms, such as hives and swelling. Beside those, noticeable are severe breathing problems, such as swelling in the throat, narrowing of the lower airways and wheezing. The chemicals also cause blood vessels to widen dramatically, which leads to a rapid, severe drop in blood pressure or shock. Anaphylaxis is a life-threatening medical emergency, happening in special cases.