Hi, I saw a TV show that made me worry. It was about cat allergy. It seams that, as far as I understood it, cat allergy is much spread. Also, I heard that when people are allergic it is usually the cat that makes the allergy occur. The thing that interested me the most is that this kind of allergy can produce life threatening symptoms. What can you tell me about severe cat allergy?

Hi, you heard right. Cat allergy is the most common animal allergy that occurs with people. Scientists have figured out the cause of the problem. If a person, that is allergic to cats, gets in contact with them, the cat's proteins influence the body to start a reaction. These proteins are found in cat's saliva, urine and fur. When proteins enter the body, the excessive production of histamine starts. It is histamine that makes the body act the way it does when someone has some kind of allergy. Usually, the symptoms that appear are: watery eyes, runny nose and rashes. There are also severe reactions that can even be life threatening. Such is anaphylactic shock. There are people that always react this way if contact with cats occurs. It is called severe cat allergy. An immediate anti-histamine shot is necessary so that the symptoms would withdraw.