I have had an upper back pain on the left side to the right of my left shoulder blade.  Its always worse when I am laying on my back, but lately I feel it even when I am sleep on my stomach, it radiates to my chest.  Its hard to describe, but a burning. dull, pressure like pain.  Its been there for years, like 10 years plus.  I have had chest x-rays done in the past, and everything checked out.  No major history of illness but when I get a cold, my cough lingers for some time, but eventually goes away.  Kind of freaking out lately because it seems to be getting worse. Please help!

Hello chitownpain,

You may have a strained muscle and that may be putting pressure on the nerves in that muscle sending pain information back to the brain.  You may not be sleeping properly at night causing the muscle to twist in some way.  Your bed and pillow may not be right for you as well.  Proper back support is crucial.  Many people have back problems because of their bed/pillows.  Your spine needs to be properly aligned when sleeping or you will have pain.  I don't think your having lung problems given your symptoms.  Try and go shopping to a bed store and test run different beds as well as their pillows.  Do this repeatedly and see if you can feel a difference.  The other thing is to find a different sleeping position and be consistent with it.  You might even try sleeping without a pillow when you are on your back and see what that does.  You'd be surprised what a difference that can make. 

I don't think this pain belongs to the lungs. This pain might be occurring due to stretching of muscle. You should sleep with a proper aligned bed so that your backbone gets proper rest. If the pain still exists, then you should consult with a chiropractor.