Ever since I had my son 10 months ago by emergency section I have been suffering from upper back pain and chest pain when lying down in bed at night. It started of as an uncomfortable pain but now is very painful and keeps me up at night. I have had an endoscopy and have an irregular shaped stomach but the doctor seems to think it has nothing to do with the pain. Could it be nerves as I did have an epidural and spinal injection before my section.
Hope you can help

It might be related to Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), or Costochondritis, or upper back pain, or a whiplash injury, or neck and brachial nerves.

**edited by moderator**

I have middle upper back pain and chest pain after sleeping. I also have GERD but the pain feels different. Its almost like the chest muscles feel sore sometimes after a night sleep. Its a frustrating situation because heart problems are always on the back of your mind. I"m a 40 year old male and have had several visits over the years to a cardiologist due to chest pain and other issues.
I wonder sometimes if maybe its cage protecting your chest feeling pressure in the middle after lying on my side for long periods of time.

I believe I am experiencing the same kind of pain which just started happening to me over the last few months for no apparent reason. It comes on after several hours sleeping in my bed and feels like a pain somewhere in the middle of my chest, between sternum and spin. While in this condition deep breathing is difficult and painful. It becomes so painful that I wish I didn't have to move, but I know that I must for the pain to go away... usually goes away slowly after 30-60 minutes of being up and moving around.

I am having the exact same problem. Please tell me what the cause is!!

I am having the exact same problem since last two weeks. Please tell me what the cause is!!

did you get an answer to this as i have the exact same problem

I am having the same exact problem but it is getting worse to the point that I can not get much sleep. Like you after being up about an hour the pain goes away. What is this?

I started to feel the same 3 days ago.
Didn't find any answer yet :/
How did you solve this?

Yep. I'm getting the same simptoms and I'm starting to get a little worried because now this pain is coming during the day every now and then. I've asked a friend and they suggested a chest infection of some sort

I get exactly the same it's really starting to worry me
Did you find out what it is?

I've fought this exact symptom for many years.. finally after chiropractors and doctors NOT helping me I had a doctor tell me to take this Ibuprofen..(that was 1990)... I was amazed because I slept through the night for the first time in over a year. He explained that ibuprofen was an anti-inflammatory and it isn't a fix for the problem but it shows that the problem is inflammation. I played with quantities for a while and finally concluded that qty six 200mg pills was the amount that got me through the night pain free... I've done this for almost 30 years.... (doctors said I could take up to 3200 mg's a day safely) I've never taken more than 1200mg's. Now i'm frustrated because I had a heart attack and i'm on blood thinners and I can't take ibuprofen anymore. I have never found a "REAL FIX" for this problem... I'd love to see if anyone has... I'd love to hear people's feedback...

I’ve had this exact thing for a couple of years. It’s so frustrating to wake up and feel like you can’t turn side to side, take a deep breath, bend over or even wipe your ass!! Advil/ibuprofen helps or walking it off for a while but surely sleeping motionless on your back will reduce the instances..... nope.
I’ve looked at costochondirits, fibromyalgia, but so far, yoga and/or stretching EVERY day is what keeps it manageable. Hate this!

Could be Ankylosing spondylitis its an autoimmune disorder. Do you have any other symptoms like iritis or pain in your heals, headaches....

New Member

Your symptoms indicate that you might be suffering from a gastrointestinal reflux disease. Consult your physician. He/she will ask you medical history and prescribed treatment accordingly.