When I got to bed, I can't lay on my left side as my stomach begins to make noise and increase my indigestion and heart burn. By morning, I have no problems laying on my left side. It doesn't matter either if I've eaten before bed or not...I just can't start out the night on my left side? Any explaination?

Hello Moncheri,

Google pulled up your post which was written quite a while ago. I thought I'd ask if you ever found an answer to your problem because the same thing happens to me. I have acid reflux disease and I get this gurgling reflux inching up from my stomach if I lie on my left side even with meds and proper eating. When I am bad and eat something I should not, it is worse. Stupidly, I keep forgetting to ask my doc about this 8-|

Years ago, a science teacher told me that there is a little bile duct or some such thing on the left side of the abdomen and this is why lying on the left side can cause this. At the time I did not have any problem but funny, I remembered him saying that all these years later.

I have layered anatomy drawings and can find nothing, BUT the gall bladder is on the left side ,of course, and although my docs don't think I have gal bladder disease, this could be the beginning and docs do miss things, unfortunately.

Best,

Cheryl

The gall bladder is under the right breast - the pancreas is under the left

See and I'm the complete opposite. I get indigestion when I lay on my right side, and it goes away on my left. I first experienced this during pregnancy and my doctor told me to lay on my left side.

I have this too. I believe it is bile reflux. I had horrible gerd for 30 years. Finally I have it under control for the most part except for the lying on left side. I am also fine by morning. I believe the pyloric sphincter had became damaged over the years due to a combination of things that I won't go into. So what happens is, when I''m laying on my left side the alkaline bile spills back into the stomach creating yet more acid. That's why the gas builds up, burping and bloating increase, and heartburn.

I was diagnosed with GERD about 3 months ago, cant believe it !! If I lay on my left I get a lot of discomfort in the middle upper of my chest, laying on my right makes it go away, whats this about ?

I was diagnosed with GERD about 3 months ago, I cant believe it !! When I lay on my left I get burning feeling in the middle of my upper chest, when I lay on my right it goes away, whats this about .

Cheryl, the gall bladder is on right side. I had mine removed and have scar there now. To get to the reason I read this I have the same problem with the gurgling when I go to bed and lay in left side. It doesn't do it on right side. After I go to sleep I find myself waking to turn and then I don't have this thing going on with the gurgling while on left side. Go figure.

I can't lay on my left side either...my heartburn gets so bad that I start coughing and sometimes can hardly breath...I quit eating anything after supper..and am trying to just drink ice water after supper...I take a stomach pill, and lately I take one in the morning and another after supper...I think it I have times when it just flares up, for several days , then it eases down...its just not fun...

Your gallbladder is on the right side.

I have exactly that !! I was sick in bed for two days with I can't even call it indigestion x100000. My neighbors had their car ready to take me to hospital thinking I was having a heart attack. Then my little dog strechted out along my side so I flipped to left side to let him know how much I love and appreciate him. I couldn't lay but a couple minutes on left side the burning was so bad so flipped again and it was bearable.

You are absolutely correct! All of these websites saying that you should sleep on your left side are wrong! Sleeping on your right side lets your stomach empty. Laying on the left side lets the stomach contents remain in your stomach. You will have some contents/acid in your stomach from the day even if you haven't eaten. Sometimes I can go to bed after just drinking some water, lay on my left side and up it comes, acid and all! Lay on your right side with your shoulders and head elevated that will help. I start out on my right side and about 4 hours later I can turn on my left side and be okay. It's just your stomach needs to empty, it can't if you're laying on your left side.

Good luck,
Phyl

I have always had this Problem with laying on my left side it's a horrible feeling of nausea, Stomach noise and Rapid heartbeat! Wtf?

Read the post just above yours. He explains it.

Guest in reply to CherW on 2007-08-21 -- Read the post just above yours. He explains it.