Does any one get a sore throat sometimes on the same side that r jaw hurts but without the jaw pain? And have constant pain in my ears and teeth along with a dull headache. I don’t know what to do I haven’t sleep well for days.

I have been recently diagnosed with tmj. I have pain in ear and neck and also have a sore throat and achy shoulders. I originally went to the doctor for an ear infection and was given antibiotics. However, the ear ache got worse as did the pain down my neck and then I was diagnosed with tmj. That was almost three weeks ago and I have been taking aspirin and trying exercises to loosen the muscles around my neck. I also went to a sporting goods store and bought a mouth guard since I have been grinding my teeth.

What is TMJ? I think I am having the same problem. What medicines are you taking?

i have a sore throat on the left hand side and my ear and teeth also hurt at the same side. i saw a doctor today and he told me to take pain killers and it will maybe get better.

I have had an earache that is always red on the left, sore teeth that it hurts to brush, sore throat for over two months and hoarseness that comes and goes plus fatigue HELP! I'm miserable and every doc I have been too gives a different diagnosis. I am going back to my childhood doctor but until then I am scared about cancer (a Tumor in my abdomen) since I had it as a teen Now 45 no cancer back since 17 years old in 1978. Also have low thryoid but taking med for it. Could thyroid be cause. Teeth in bad shape because of chemo during cancer. I am a walking mess. I am a mom of three two are teens other in college also. I am a graduate student and a wife and have a busy life in general. Have missed two weeks of school and so much pain and so tired. Have had severe migraines since I was teen and still do on top of it all. I am under treatment for them also. Have been looked at for TMJ and I do not have it so what else! PLEASE I NEED HELP CANNNOT SLEEP hard to swallow Any ideas! Calling my old doctor tomorrow at eight AM! I hope she can help. time to go back to her. All the other docs are very cold and are only with you for ten minutes. HELP! Sorry so much complaining I can't deal with it now it runs my life! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :-( :-( Bekah

well i have had this ongoing pain for almost 6 months now,it all started on the 9th of september a few weeks after my close first cousin died i got so depressed that the doctors put me on zoloft anyways around 8 days later i felt this dull pain on the left side of my head ear and neck,it was weird pain i took some strong painkillers didn't help i didn't care at first cause i thought it will go away,2 weeks later still the same pain didn't get worse or less sore throat and then i'd also found a swollen gland on the same side below my ear just on my neck do said it's nothing but it's painfull when i touch it ,so i started getting really bad anxiety attacks thinking i have a brain tumor,so the doctor sent me for a ct san everything was normal i felt much better knowing it's nothing bad or anything but the pain was really getting to me i have 2 young children a husband i got really bad anyways it's been almost 6 months now with this pain it comes and goes but i'm sick of it i'v also had a mri done still waiting to go back to the doc for my results,currently i am taking lovan for my anxiety and depression its helped a little with the pain i guess,anyways does anybody have any idea what this pain is coming from??pleaseeee

Hi all, I have been reading your posts with interest as I too have very similar symptoms. Pain in and down the ear, neck, jaw, teeth and back of head. The pain has caused a lot of tension in my neck and shoulders so I'm getting a lot of stress pain aswell. My doc has diagnosed Trigeminal Nerve Disorder, possibly caused by the nerve being trapped and inflammed in my neck. I'm taking Anti-Convulsant Mediciation - Carbamazepine was great but the side effects were too strong for me. I'm on Gabapentine now and they help to relax me which gets rid of the tension and most of the face pain. I've been told it can go as quick as it came (the pain). I hope this helps. %-) %-) 8-|

YES, I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU COMPLAIN OF. I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH TMJ AND IT HAS BEEN A LITTLE OVER A YEAR. BELIEVE IT OR NOT I WAS COMPLAINING OF A SMELL IN MY NOSE. I HAD 5 ENT, 1 NEURO, 3 ORAL SURGEONS, 3 MEDICAL DOCTORS, MRI, X-RAY, STRESS TEST, UPPER GI SERIES, ALLERGY DOCTOR AND I AM RIGHT HERE TODAY WITH THE SAME PROBLEM. THE LAST ORAL SURGEON GAVE ME BOTOX SHOTS AND A MOUTH GUARD. THE SMELL COMES WHEN THE FACE SPASMS ARE BAD. I ALSO GET A COLD BURNING FEELING IN MY EAR AND ON THE SIDE OF MY THROAT. THE THROAT, FACE, NECK, SHOULDER ON MY LEFT SIDE ARE SPASMED MOST OF THE TIME. IT MAKES EVERYDAY LIFE HORRIBLE. MY CO-WORKERS NO LONGER ASK HOW I FEEL - THEY DON'T REALLY WANT TO KNOW. I HAVE BEEN LEGALLY LABLED AS A HYPERCHONDRIAC. NOW I AM TAKING ACUPUNCTURE AND ACCUPRESSURE TREATMENTS ALONG WITH THE EMZYME THERAPY THAT I AM TAKING. THE COMBINATION IS WORKING SOMEWHAT. HOPE YOU FEEL BETTER AND A FAST RECOVERY. FOR MYSELF, I HAVE GIVEN UP COMPLETELY. I LEAVE IT IN GOD HANDS. I CAN CONCENTRATE AND I CANT EVEN ENJOY THE SIMPLE THINGS IN LIFE ANYMORE. I AM DEPRESSED - EXTREMEMLY DEPRESSED. I CRY MOST OF THE TIME.

Hi Guys, It was interesting to come across your post today. Since early last year I have had a strange feeling on the left side of my throat. I freaked straight away and thought I must have some sort of cancer, this thought plagues me everyday. However I have been to Doctors , ENT, had scans and even a CT scan. And they all say nothing is wrong with the left side of my face and neck. But the sensation which has not yet become painful is a very strong sensation and this freaks me out. I have thought I might have TMJ but there is no direct pain in the Joint. Today the sensation feels heavy like a pressure in my left ear and my left Jaw at the back of the cheek. This sensation also travels down my neck. I also get sometimes what feels like the beginings of a sore throat and this is once again only on my left siide. When I think back to when I first noticed anything it was a night only hours after I had had some dental work done on one of my bottom left hand molars. I noticed a lump come up on my TMJ right in front of the ear but htis went away so I thought no more of it. However since then I have had all the trouble mentioned above. I am going to a TMJ specialist on Tuesday to get his opinion I am also going to ask him if it is possible for a tooth to make you sick but feel fine in you mouth. In other words I am wondering if the tooth I had the dental work done to could be draining back into my system causing the general area to go into spasm rather than becoming painfull thus alerting me to do something about it. As you can see like most of you here I am very frustrated, no one seems to be able to help me. So in kicks the depression cause all I can think about is that I am going to die from some sort of cancer that the Doctors have missed some how.
If anyone has anything to tell or add to this please let me know. :-)

Hi, nordster,

I had similar problems immediately after two dental fillings on 2 lower left molars. It appears right after the dental work. Now two years after the symptoms subdue somewhat :but never disappear.

I personally suspect several possibilities:

1. some nerve was hurt during anethethsia shot.

2. sensitive to dental material.

3. contamion of inside of teeth during the filling procedure.

I do have some fluid feeling in my ears though they are very dry, too dry. My sinus is also dry.

:x

Hi Nordster,

What you are describing sounds more like a problem with your parotid gland. It can swell up after dental work because of not enough saliva being produced while having the dental work done. The swelling happens in the lower front of the ear. Good luck.

I HAVE ALL THE SAME SYMPTOMS YOU HAVE AND HAVE BEEN THROUGH AS MANY DOCTORS. I'VE TRIED NUMEROUS HERBS, NONE OF WHICH HELPED NEVER MIND THE REGULAR PRESCRIPTIONS. :-(

I've got the same thing going on, same worries. Something that strikes me about everyone's posts is this: each and every one of these doctors has been paid and paid well. I gave up going to the doctor's office because I'm still paying off the last visits....and I have insurance! Where I live, office visits are $265, minimum, for just talking to the doctor, for maybe three minutes, and getting the "it's nothing" response. Or a referral to another doctor for even more money and the same three minute visit. I went to an ENT who did all of the talking, wouldn't listen, told me abt his medical theories in general, and told me I needed surgery, and I'm still paying THAT off. My insurance paid him abt $7,000 and I am almost finished paying the $3500 remainder. I don't know about the rest of you, but I have kids, one in college, two headed there, one son who is a type 1 diabetic, and I cannot afford to go to another doctor that doesn't listen, shrugs it off, and pay him for the priveledge of being in his presence. I have shooting pains down the left side of my neck, numerous swollen glands, and almost intolerable ear pain and can't afford to go back to the doctor until I get everyone else paid off. I paid $13,000 out of pocket in medical bills last year and wasn't even able to take it off of my taxes.
Sorry to run on like this---but I honestly believe something has to be done in this country about medical care---ie charges should be commensurate with the service rendered. My diabetic son, aged 20, cannot afford his out of pocket expenses, his credit is ruined, and he'll never have a chance of a cure OR be able to buy a house. This AFTER the insurance has paid these people thousands upon thousands of dollars.

Anyway. How can anyone afford this?? I just finished reading that medical expenses are the number one cause of bankruptcies, and boy do I believe it. People are going bankrupt and they aren't even getting cured.

I have been having problems with my teeth for awhile. I had fillings done and a couple months later I have gotten pain that comes and goes for a month, now i am stuck with it no stop for the last 3 months. I have tried going different places getting x-rays, but still nothing. They also tried to tell me it was because of grinding but i never sleep so how can i be grinding my teeth in my sleep. It seems liek when i take pain killers it intensify's the pain. The only thing that has helped me is steroids, but they have really bad side effects and i can't be on them for the rest of my life. I need help. Does anyone know what is going on. To me I feel the pain in my teeth like something is trying to break them from the inside out. I feel th pain along my jaw to my ear.

Renee T. - my thoughts exactly. I only paid $11,000 out of pocket last year. This whole medical thing is just insane. No relief, a closet full of meds that did nothing except lighten my pocketbook. Maybe I could sell them on the street and use the money to pay the bills? Besides the physical pain, the mental and emotional anguish I know are exasparating the symptoms. I am a school teacher and not sure if I can make it back in the Fall. I have used all my sick days, don't get paid if I don't go in to work. How bad does it get before someone has an ahah moment and gets a diagnosis so the appropriate treatment can take place. I scour the internet trying to find a clue. I am turning into a recluse. I don't have a family so it is tough that way. Fortunately my dog understands and so far keeps me going. The best part is coming across others who are having the same problem. At least lets me know I am not the only one with a mystery illness, syndrome, condition............. Thanks.