I am 14, and today when I was urinating at school, I pushed the foreskin back a little too much, and I saw this yellow gunk under there! When I came home, I masturbated before showering. I have problems getting my foreskin past 3/4 down my glans when erect, so just to make sure I was flacid when investigating, I masturbated off any coming erections, as I am always afraid of my foreskin getting stuck under the head. it feels uncomfortable, but not painful when non erect, but if I start becoming erect when my foreskin is down, I start freaking out. I have always washed stuff off the head of my penis, but not below it. sure enough, the smegma was there, but I started getting an erection with the head exposed, and I rolled the skin back up. I am freaked about keeping my foreskin rolled down, but idk whether I have to clean out the smegma. I don't have a tight foreskin, but due to me being in earliest stages of.puberty, I cannot retract when erect, but when I retract when flacid, I get scared. do I have to clean out smegma now, or can I just clean the head until I know I can retract with a full erection?

Hi Joe,

Clean out the smegma as best you can NOW.  It can lead to an infection of the foreskin, balanitis, if you don't.    If you can, use your finger for now to wipe it out.  It's easier in the shower when you can get it wet.

It's NORMAL for you not to be able to fully retract your foreskin yet.  That should resolve by about 16 or so.  Let it stretch some, pull it back a bit, not so far that it gets stuck, but just enough to stretch the skin.

Remember, the glans is going to be sensitive and that is NORMAL too.  Your foreskin has been protecting it so it isn't used to being touched.

Hope it helps.

Hi Joe:

Do not worry about the smegma. It has been accumulating there since you were born without doing any harm.

You are blessed with a protective, highly-innervated, erogenous full-length foreskin. Many unforeskinned guys would envy your foreskin. You display great wisdom in wanting to avoid circumcision.

You should thank your parents for protecting your physical integrity. Because of your physical integrity you will be able to have sex the way nature intended it.

Smegma is nothing to worry about. It is a natural secretion of the human body. It inhibits the growth of invasive bacteria so it is actually beneficial to have some smegma present. Young guys who cant yet retract the foreskin so easily risk giving themselves an infection by manipulating it too much, so don't be too eager to get rid of it all.

Smegma is nothing more than a mixture of cast-off skin cells and skin oils. It is harmless. The culture of the United States improperly and ignorantly classifies smegma as some kind of filth. It is not filth. It is protective and provides body oils to the head of the penis. The  body oils provide lubrication.

Smegma accumulates harmlessly and protectively under the foreskin from birth to the first time a young male retracts his foreskin. It is normal to see an accumulation of smegma deposited over the years upon first retraction. This is nothing to worry about. It simply may be washed away. If it is hardened, one may soak it with olive oil to soften it.

The head (glans penis) and inside of the foreskin is covered with mucosa, not skin. It needs oils for good health. This is provided by smegma.

Smegma should be washed away once in a while so it does not get smelly. Excessive washing and the use of soap inside the foreskin should be avoided because it dries out the sensitive tissues and can cause dermatitis.

Smegma is a natural, normal, harmless, and healthy substance. It is a mixture of exfoliated skin and skin oils. Smegma does NOT cause cancer.Smegma collects under the foreskin. It is normally white in color. Some people believe that smegma resembles cream cheese.It can get irritating if it stays for a long time without being washed away, so it is good practice to wash under the foreskin periodically.Accumulated smegma may get hardened and difficult to remove if it stays a long time such as under a foreskin that is not retracted. Olive oil has been recommended for softening and removing hardened smegma.Since smegma is composed of exfoliated skin and skin exfoliation occurs continuously, smegma is continuously forming. You may expect to see more every day.