This is pretty gross, but my BF recently had to have a lot of smegma removed from under his foreskin, and the procedure left his foreskin red and sore. I wonder if he could use a penis health cream for some relief?

Definitely yes. I am a convert to Man1 Man Oil, which I've been using for a while, and which has totally cleared up a lot of issues I've had, including rank odor and awful soreness and rawness. It's sfae and very soothing, so get your bf some relief fast!!!

You mean he had to have someone remove it FOR him? Who did this to him? Most of us just peel it back and wash it ourselves. Can you elaborate on why he had to have it done and what they did? Usually if the foreskin won't go back all the way you just clean as much as you can. What's left won't hurt anything.

I have never heard of that before. Who did it? Why was it necessary? He could put some Jergen's hand lotion on it.

Smegma collects harmlessly under the foreskin from birth. It is normally white in color. Some people believe that smegma resembles cream cheese. It is common for a teen who retracts his foreskin for the first time to find a large accumulation of smegma, which has been harmlessly accumulating under the foreskin since birth.

Smegma is not “filth”. It is a natural, normal, harmless, and healthy substance. It is a mixture of exfoliated skin and skin oils. The skin oil in smegma is beneficial to the health of the glans penis (head).

Smegma does NOT cause cancer. There is a lot of false and incorrect information about smegma circulating on the Internet and elsewhere.

It won’t hurt if it stays there for a while, but it can get irritating and smelly if it stays for a very long time without being washed away, so it is good practice to wash the smegma away once in a while. Washing with soap should be avoided because it can dry out the mucosal tissue and cause non-specific dermatitis.

Since smegma is composed of exfoliated skin and skin exfoliation occurs continuously, smegma is continuously forming. You may expect to see a little more every day.

Accumulated smegma may get hardened and difficult to remove if it stays a very long time such as under a foreskin that is not retracted. Olive oil has been recommended for softening and removing hardened smegma.