please help me decide. my doctors are at opposite ends on whether i should get a kidney transplant or not. my doctor says life after transplant is not easy because of the immunosuppresants, always in fear of infection but i read here that you are doing just fine. please enlighten me.

Hi there. I think that I would only get the kidney transplant if it were absolutely necessary. I know that it can be difficult to cope after so I don't think I'd do it unless it seemed absolutely necessary. Does that help?

I'm new to these forums so hopefully I'm doing this right.
If you don't get a transplant, I'm assuming you'll have to go on dialysis? My mom was on dialysis and was very sick from it. Later she got a transplant and died from it 4 months later. That was almost 20 yrs. ago.
I got a transplant 6 months ago, (was terrified and readied myself for death because of my mom) and am still alive and kicking! My brother gave me one of his. He is my hero!!
We avoided dialysis altogether.
Is it easy? (the drugs)...no.
I'm still adjusting to them (have side effects from the prednisone but not everyone has side effects from prednisone)
I haven't been on dialysis but I'm thinking life with a working kidney and a few drug side effects has got to be better than being stuck to a machine and feeling horrible...

Hi there, thanks so much for posting your experiences and I think it helps. I must've been thinking about how things happened more with your mom than how these things can go today. It sounds like the surgery had improved greatly in the past 20 or so years. Thanks again!

I was really concerned before my transplant and my doctor assured me how much things have changed in 20 yrs. He said before they would struggle with rejection (my moms kidney ended up rejecting) and now its almost like they push a switch and- presto rejection gone. (change meds)
Don't get me wrong, its not been easy for me over the last 6 months...a whole lifestyle/emotional change but still better than dialysis, I'm thinking....

It definite sounds like it has changed quite a bit since 20 years ago so I'm glad that you've been doing better. I suppose that it is quite a bit different from what I thought it was. I'm glad that you're here to share your experience too. Thanks for posting again :-)