Hello everyone, 

my mom has been suffering from polycystic kidney disease for years and her latest results show she now only has 17% kidney function. Since cysts have spread already to her liver she unfortunately has almost no chance to get a kidney transplant, but from what I understood, 17% kidney function means that she is now at stage 4 of chronic kidney disease. Does this automatically mean my mom will have to go on the dialysis for life?

As of now, we're still waiting to hear when will her next appointment be, but I would appreciate a lot if someone could help me clarify which percent of kidney functioning means that dialysis or transplant are necessary to keep her alive?

Hi! I know this reply is a little late, but I hope it still helps out. The way that kidney disease is defined is normally based on glomerular filtration rate (GFR) which in its simplest terms is based on how effective the kidneys are at taking impurities out of fluid. At the stage your mom is at it doesn't definitely mean she'll need dialysis, but it does mean that you all need to plan for that happening. While it isn’t ideal, dialysis can be a stop-gap between diagnosis and transplantation – but it doesn’t have to be the end of the world. Make sure you get lots of advice as her treatment progresses and take all the help you can get. Good luck!

sorry to hear that your mom have PKD. How about your mom's current condition?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use