Hello! I know a girl which goes to kidney dialysis. She is very nice girl ad when I have heard this I was deeply sad. So, I want to know following: what is kidney dialysis efficiency in comparison to a healthy kidney. I am not expert in medicine field and I do not know much about this. I hope that you will know. Thanks!

Hello! I have to be honest with you: nothing can replace healthy kidney. Kidney dialysis is very good transitional phase up to kidney transplant. The problem is following: kidney dialysis is efficient, but it does not take whole day. As you know she goes to kidney dialysis once per day. I hope that she will get kidney very soon…

Kidney dialysis can´t ever be as efficient as the healthy – or even not a completely healthy – kidney. It´s not only because dialysis can´t be performed all the time because even if it could, the artificial blood filtering in order to get rid of all the excess material from body, has its own downsides, too. Dialysis is never as precise as human kidney is and longer use of dialysis does lead to some blood problems and they tend to get worse the longer there is the need to perform it, no matter how vital it is.

This is why kidney transplant is always the goal that, especially younger people, on dialysis go for. It raises their quality of life significantly and it’s far better for the body. So, kidney dialysis is efficient, but it is not a permanent solution for treating kidney problems.