We were shocked when we heard that my brother was diagnosed with huntington's disease. I have talked to the doctors and they explained to me what will be happening to him in the future, how the illness will progress. Should I put my huntington patient brother into a nursing home?

Huntington's disease is a terrible thing that can really bring chaos into a family. I guess you were told that your brother would eventually loose his motion ability and cognitive ones too, that he will become almost helpless. In that case, he would really need 24-hour help, but still, whether to put him into a nursing home is strictly decision of you and your brother.

My girlfriend has also been diagnosed with the diseases as was her mother.

Although her daughter-in-law cared for her until the end, I suspect for most families

it is simply not possible to give them the care they need after a certain point.

For myself, I will do all I can, for as long as I can before resorting to a care facility.

Best wishes

Hunting diseases are really affected the health today.Nursing homes are often the only alternative for patients who require nursing care over an extended period of time. They are too ill to remain at home, with families, or in less structured long-term facilities. There are federal laws regarding the care given in a nursing home, and it is essential that staff members become aware of these regulations. It is required that staff conduct a thorough assessment of each new resident during the first two weeks.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed