My grandma is 87 years old, only about 5'1" and maybe 90lbs. she isn't very active but she fell and broke her shoulder and wrist last week and since has had to be in a wheelchair. her doctors want to do a shoulder replacement surgery but i am very concerned about her recovery. is this surgery safe for someone her age? What is the recovery like? and what are the statistics on this surgery? if you can't answer all of these questions where can i find the answers?

Did your Grandmother ever have this surgery? My Grandma is 90 yrs old and they are suggesting the same. She is worried about the recovery?
But she is always in so much pain now and taking lots of pain meds!! and the meds make her dizzy!! thus the falls!

My father just had this surgery. The recovery has been pretty bad and the operation wasn't 100% successful. The replacement ball joint has since moved causing pain when he raises his arm.

If I had to do it over again, I'd ask what other surgical options were available other than replacement.