Good day everyone. 

I was talking with my mom today and she told me that my grandmother probably will have to go to some surgery. I asked her what this is all about and she told me that she was diagnosed with pure aortic regurgitation and that she needs to have some replacement. But not the ordinary replacement, but isolated aortic valve replacement (whatever this is, I really don't know). I just want to know what could caused it? She is 75 years old. Can you tell me what are the causes of Pure Aortic Regurgitation in Patients Having Isolated Aortic Valve Replacement?

Tnx a lot!

Good day there Couch. I am sorry to tell you this, but this could be a huge problem because she is an older lady and this replacement can be extremely dangerous. I am not so sure what the cause is, but I do know that aortic regurgitation is much less common than stenosis, but it has more underlying causes and that is why I don’t know what exactly the cause is. I know that it can be grouped into some conditions that can affect the aortic valve cusps. Did your grandmother have those problems before? I am really surprised how she was diagnosed now, when she is 75 with it and not before?

Hello two of you. I am really sorry to hear this especially because she is older lady and I think that it is much harder for her to take this diagnose than everyone else of you. I am sure that doctor explained well what are exact causes of pure aortic regurgitation, because he is only one who can determine this according to some tests and analysis. Also, this can be very serious condition especially if she needs to have aortic valve replacement. This is very difficult surgery when someone is younger. Did your doctor tell you does she really need to have the replacement? 

Hi Couch Potato,

Unfortunately, I don't know much about this matter but I have to tell you to be prepared for everything. Something can easily go wrong and I would suggest that you pay attention to your grandma and spend your days with her like they are her last.

All heart surgeries carry risks with them. However, age is a big risk factor and your grandma is 75 years old. A lot comes down to her now. If she is a strong lady, she might do well during the surgery and everything would go as planned. But it is still very dangerous.

I remember reading about a study some time ago regarding this matter, it wasn't too long ago though. There were bunch of patients involved in this study and as far as I remember, the causes of pure AR severe enough to warrant isolated AVR were diverse, and the most common category in this study was “cause unclear.”

Most of the other causes were written in medical history records, meaning that these patients already had history of heart diseases and conditions. However, I'm afraid that nobody can tell you for sure what are the causes of it.

I hope that your grandma lives to be 100 years old and more!

Hi everyone,

They are all right if you ask me, there are no known causes for this matter.

I didn't know much about this matter when I first saw your question here and that is exactly why it intrigued me: because I didn't know nothing about it. I did some research, not too much neither too little, and I've came to the discovery that the causes of pure AR are unclear. 

Unfortunately, while reading about this I came to the conclusion that this is going to be a dangerous procedure for your grandma. I wish her all the best and to live many more years.

If you ask me I don’t even know. But I think that this is very rare disease or diagnose, call it however you want. And I was reading some article where doctors were saying that this pure aortic regurgitation has some rare or unusual causes. So basically I really don’t believe that someone can tell you for real what the causes are. It is very hard to determine. I know that pure aortic regurgitation ranks fifth on the list of valvular lesions in the patients, whatever this means in some medical terms. All that I really want to tell is that you will need to have a lot of effort to determine the cause of it. Good luck.