Hi all. I’m 35 and I’m scheduled for knuckle replacement next week. Anyway, I’m not scared and I’m even looking forward to it because I really can’t stand this pain anymore… So, while waiting for my turn, I just wanted to hear some testimonials, I mean if anybody here had it. Thanks

I had a knuckle replacement on my right hand index finger during 1997. It was uccessful but, as I had a good specialist for that, I accepted nothing less. I mean, you don't get a new knuckle put in by anyone when you have lupus, so my specialist got me the best surgeon. Anyway, I have positive experience, just like most of the people having it, and I think that it will be same for you. Good luck and write us back after the surgery to let us know how it went!

I too had knuckle replacement done. I had very bad blockages in my right leg and it troubled me day and night. I went through my life savings because of my illness for eight years. I even had to re-mortgage a house that was paid for in order to build a new house with double-doors and wide-open space so I could be moved in a wheelchair and could function in that house. Then I heard for that treatment and the doctor to do it. After speaking with him, I decided to have it and did not regret. After the procedure, I woke up one morning and was pain free!! I meant, it took some more time to recover from the surgery, but finally, for the first time in ten years I felt normal. I felt light as a feather and jumped out of bed. Now I walk, I swim, and I hike again with my dogs. It's like youth reborn.

I had knuckle replacements done 10 days ago. As far as the discomfort to my hand is concerned, it has been very painful, Can anyone tell me how long this will last. The stitches are due to come out tomorrow, so i am hoping for things to improve. I have done all the phsio regardless of the discomfort :-(

i had knuckle replacement in august 2002, i have rheumatoid arthritis and have had joints removed and fused and both were wonderful and had great results.
the knuckles are a different story. very painful operation, long recovery, the post who was getting stiches out i feel for because the work is just beginning. i am not trying to scare anyone out of this operation, i am so grateful for all the surgeries. but i am just trying to be truthful, the day i had the stiches out they sent me immediatly to thearpy where they put splints on to straighten. not pleasent. then 3 times a week for a few months i went to thearpy and did exercises. my advise is to take pain meds before thearpy. i did this and it was much better. because they have to move and straighten the fingers.
now in 2007 the fingers have drifted again. the rheumatoid never left them. i go to the orthopedic monday and find out what there is to do.

I am 57 years old and i have osto. in my fingers and they look terrible and hurt in some way 85% of the time!
I have played with the idea of surgery,but i am a florist and have a catering business.and don't think i can
be off that long. The pain is worse when they begin to grow and draw side ways,and i am going through that
right now. I hate pain meds,does anyone know of anything i can do to help with the fever in them and the
pain?

Wishing loose joints to everyone!!!!!

I just had it done two weeks ago and I have no more pain. What a feeling living without that hand pain. I'll pray for you.

I had my right hand knuckles replaced 4 weeks ago. I'm now out of the splint, (just wear it at night), and have started physio. Don't let anyone kid you, it is not a pain free operation! I have RA and it's just started to flair which I was ready for. Take my advice and don't rush it. It will take longer than you think. I have a soft ball to squeeze and lovely straight fingers. Be patient and take your time, it will be worth it!

good luck

Patti

Hello to all,

I am 55 and am looking at having my index knuckle joint replaced next year. I've been through many surgeries and  am not worried about the pain. What I want to know is how long your hand is immobilized after the surgery. I heard they buddy tape it to the middle finger for awhile, too. I do sign language for a living and my doctor said that once the splints are removed that signing is good therapy. I thout he told me at least 2 or 3 weeks. What was your experience with it? Thanks and have a great day!

I had my right hand middle finger knuckle done 2 years ago and yesterday I had my left hand middle finger knuckle and it takes time to heal but after the first surgery I was riding my Harley and playing gold after 4 months and planning to do the same with this last surgey and I am 52 but both of my knuckles was from accident issues.

DON'T MEAN TO BE SKEPTICAL, BUT I WISH I HAD MY OLD ACHING JOINT BACK, I DID NOT DO ENOUGH RESEARCH ON THIS OPERATION BEFORE I HAD IT DONE, "TYPING WITH MY LEFT HAND NOW" i found after surgery that i will only have 45 degrees range of motion, i had a lot more than that with the joint i was born with, at 45 degrees you can not grip a pair of pliers or sling a hammer, i'm aa mechanic and my hands are my living or used to be. I also found out after surgery these joints only last approx. ten years, then what? no i will not have another joint put in, and go through all this pain and agony again, once it's done it's done there is no backing up , so my advice is to think long and hard before you have a knuckle replaced , just because it is stiff and hurts a little bit bare with it and take Aleave or something , I regret my operation.sad but true. sorry for all the caps in the beginning.did not relize i had them turned on.

my husband had a accident with a gun shot to his hand it blew away his knuckle and part of his middle finger the dr. wants to take a bone from his toe and add it to make him a knuckle was wondering has anyone heard of this? did'nt leave him with a whole lot of choices

Last year I tore my left hand in half, mid wrist across between little and ring figer. hand exploded from inside out, blowing little finger knuckle thru side of hand.! year ago , nov6.  three weeks ago, underwent replacement surgery/hand rebuild...61/2 hrs. metel plate from wrist to base of little finger, 2 u shaped straps wrap around outside edge of hand. Titanium knuckle replacement on little finger at palm and ring knuckle has been rebuilt...    all together, 6 open surgeries, 600 stitches at flesh, 400 internal, nerve repair, metal inside me, obvious deformaties, and LOSS of most tech, use...Has been a struggle, battle and mental anguish.. No SUGAR COATING HERE....REALITY. this happened on the job, using a tool owner made, and instructed us to use, in front of him, TOOL FAILURE!!!...that quick.....work was being done on Railroad Passenger car Leafsprings.. END OF CAREER IN AN INSTANT......hopefully YOUR SURGERY GOES AS PLANNED

I have been on the waiting list since beginning of January for left hand all knuckle replacement I am a typist have had RA FOR 18yrs with several and various ops under my belt, knees replaced and toe straightening etc. My fingers have all drifted off towards the little finger and are bent double now, the pain I have trying to do anything with it is tremendous and I am told if I leave it as is it will eventually become useless, reading your distress has made me wonder and think long and hard the plastic surgeon has told me that my right has its own various issues and will require work in the future. Can you tell me what the splint looks like as I have seen various 

I had the same thing happen to my middle finger and knuckle.......looking for options did it work ok?