My colleague has been diagnosed with lymphoma and I do not really know how to talk to him about it. I definitely feel for him, and I would definitely like to know more about this illness to be able to have a serious, sensible conversation with him about it without sounding like a ridiculous interfering old bag. That is why I would like to learn more about lymphoma. For instance, what are the possible side effects? And what are his chances of survival?

Side effects? I think must mean symptoms and complications? There are actually different forms of lymphoma, and sometimes there are initially no symptoms, and no treatment. When chemotherapy is needed, it is often the chemotherapy that has bad side effects, not the lymphoma itself. Though the initial symptoms are often fever, weight loss, extreme fatigue and night sweats.