My neighbor’s daughter is on chemotherapy treatment for Burkitt’s lymphoma disease. She is only 17 years old; I was shocked when I have heard. It is first time I have heard about the disease. If I understood correctly it is some kind of cancer. Please tell me more about the Burkitt’s lymphoma disease. Thank you.

Burkitt's lymphoma is a form of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Disease affects people between the ages of 12 and 30. This cancer is associated with early childhood infection by the Epstein-Barr virus, which is the primary cause of infectious mononucleosis. Burkitt's lymphoma first symptoms are swelling of lymph nodes in the neck or below the jaw. Swellings are painless and may grow rapidly and appear in other areas of the body. Patients with Burkitt's lymphoma may develop fast-growing tumors in the abdomen and Burkitt’s lymphoma may spread to the bone marrow and central nervous system if it not treated. Chemotherapy is usual treatment with anti cancer medications