It is not like I have any personal connection to the subject. I am not going to undergo brain surgery, nor is anyone in my immediate or not so immediate circle of friends or relatives, but I have always been fascinated by science and think brain surgery is awesome! I know brain surgery is able to save many people. But are there any side effects?

Of course brain surgery has risks. After all, all major surgery carries risks, and brain surgery is just about as major as it gets! Often, patients who are undergoing brain surgery would die without it. Therefore, the brain surgery is their only hope of survival. In those cases, brain surgery increases the life expectancy because the chances of survival would be nil without the surgery. That doesn't mean someone can't die on the operating table, or after surgery. Apart from that, there is also the chance of brain damage, either minor or major.