I would like to learn more about hypnosis and its potential side effects. I had a less than ideal childhood and think that it is partly responsible for the depression I have now found myself in. A colleague of mine learnt hpw to perform hypnosis - he took many professional courses and is already helping others to quit smoking through hypnosis. I thought I could use his services to go back and heal some of those childhood fears. My colleague is someone I trust, and he offered to do hypnosis for me. Are there any side effects I should know about?

I would be very careful and think twice - no, much more often that twice - before I would entrust myself to an unqualified hypnotist, even if it is someone you know very well. I don't think there are side effects of the hypnosis as such, and I even believe that hypnosis does not work at all for many people. But if you retrieve some memories you had stuffed away, it can open up your very own Pandora's Box. When that happens, you might want to make sure there is a trained professional, like a psychologist with you.